W210 parking brake replacement

big-ernie

Reaction score
Guys -I'm replacing the parking brake pads on my W210 estate (a bit of a nightmare) I've got the new pads on and springs on, but finding it hard to get the disk back on. The adjuster is wound back in fully - Is there anything I need to do to the expander lock at the bottom ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The parking brake cable could be stopping the disc going on. You can check this by looking at the lever coming through the back plate into the shoes

I often just file the paint of the ends off the shoes where the meet the adjuster

OP
B

big-ernie

Reaction score
ref the cable

First time doing this (a bit of a novice - but needs must during the recession) if th cable is stopping the disk going back on, how would I rectify this please ?

The handbrake is off .....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is an access panel under the rear seat and you can do this on the end of the cable near 280 in the link.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...648716.649&CT=F&cat=66G&SID=42&SGR=145&SGN=06

They can be pigs to do sometimes,,, if you look behind the back plates you will see the levers 190
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...648716.649&CT=F&cat=66G&SID=42&SGR=045&SGN=02

If thes are right back when you pull them,,then file a little off the ends of the shoes where they engage in the adjuster and shackle 190.

If you are using the old disc, once you have got them on far enough to clear the ridge inside you will be OK

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
I put new shoes on the 124 earlier in the year and i can sympathise with the OP as to the horrible job it is.

Have you tried getting someone to operate the parking brake whilst you observe the action from the business end, easy to get the fitting wrong here.... in similar cases i have held some reasonable pressure against the brake shoes with 2 screwdrivers wedged by hand pressure against the backplate to simulate pressure against the shoes, you'll be able to see the operation is correct then.

Anyone in earshot may well have learned a whole new vocabulary whilst i struggled with mine....

Last edited:
OP
B

big-ernie

Reaction score
Done it !

Thanks for the advice and info guys ..... but now done - It turns out that the mechanism on the Expanding lock was seized, It looks like it has been like that for ages as when I checked the other side, there were fairly new pads on that side, so think someone couldn't be bothered to sort the problem out. It took lots of patience, a pair of pointed pliers and a tin of WD40 !

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you were my age,,drum brakes were all one had as the disc did not come out till the 60,s Pleased that it all done :D

chrissymac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz E Class 3.0 (1999)
Parking Brake Shoes W210

Replaced mine yesterday along with new pads and discs/drums.
Just a couple of thoughts that might help someone else.

I found it easier disconnecting the handbrake cable from the adjuster mechanism under the rear seats. With it connected the self adjusting mechanism kept taking up the slack in the cable making it harder to fit the shoes.

I had 2 attempts at fitting the disc/drum over the shoes not realising that the lever mechanism that the shoes sit on has to be located perfectly or it will either jam or once the drum is in place, not operate correctly.
Having someone operate the cable from inside the car while observing the operation of the newly fitted shoes helps.

Finally, if everything is correct you should have no problem fitting the drum over the shoes. I tried re fitting my old rusty drums and when all was correct they popped over the shoes easily.

These are about the most difficult handbrake shoes I have ever done so give yourself plenty of time.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Handbrake shows can only be wearing out if the adjuster is seized or the brake has been left on while driving.

I only use my parking brake when parked on steep hills.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom