alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi all

My 210 55 has an interior trim rattle.

I can hear it from the rear pillar next to the back window area, I think.

It sounds very much like something hitting the metalwork in that area. I have had the parcel shelf off and everything else in that area, trim etc, and there is nothing loose.

I have also looking behind the boot lining to check for anything in that area, nothing loose there either.

Any ideas?

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
Sorry I have not got an answer but I have a similar rattle.

I'm sure it started when I removed the rear parcel shelf and c-pillar trims but cannot see any obvious noise sources.

One thing I noticed is that by opening the sunroof the noise stopped.

I plan to take the headliner down soon (part of my parktronic retrofit) and will check the sunroof cassette.

Adam

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's funny you mention that. My other 210 has a similar sound from the sunroof Area. If you put pressure on the glass upwards with your palm, the rattle stops. It could be the sunroof I suppose. I will open the sunroof next time to see if it reoccurs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Have all the trim parts engaged fully with the clips?

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
With my rattle pushing the sunroof glass panel does not stop the rattle. It might be part of the mechanism near the rear or the bolts holding it to the roof.

The sound is definitely at the rear. It seems to occur when the car is warm but is quite random. Opening the sunroof may be loading the mechanism differently or maybe the air pressure difference is causing a piece of trim to move and stop the rattle.

It's very annoying and does sound like something hitting the bodywork.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have all the trim parts engaged fully with the clips?

100%

I remove the trim clips from the holes in the body work, attach them to the trim and hit them to seat them fully.

I have removed the trim to confirm if that was the case, and I still get the rattle with the trim removed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The roof operating cable goes down that side

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is not the roof motor mounted in the boot nearside and a bowden cable going up to the roof

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not on mine, just an vacuum line on that side.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The sunroof motor is behind the rear view mirror light cluster on the W210. On the previous model the motor was in the boot.

Could it be the sunroof "shade" panel - this often rattles when pushed back, with the sunroof in the closed or tilted position. Wedging something above the headlining (such as a big rag) in the centre at the back can solve this.

Have you removed the rear seat squab and back rest to check for anything loose there? The rattle could be lower down but masked by all of the seat padding.

The only items that I can think of in that area are seatbelt (loose mounting bolt for the top fixing?), pneumatics for rear headrest and petrol flap, plus wiring for parcel shelf speakers.

If not them then try removing the headlining down the problem side and check that the sunroof drain is connected.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could it be the sunroof "shade" panel - this often rattles when pushed back, with the sunroof in the closed or tilted position. Wedging something above the headlining (such as a big rag) in the centre at the back can solve this.

Have you removed the rear seat squab and back rest to check for anything loose there? The rattle could be lower down but masked by all of the seat padding.

The only items that I can think of in that area are seatbelt (loose mounting bolt for the top fixing?), pneumatics for rear headrest and petrol flap, plus wiring for parcel shelf speakers.

If not them then try removing the headlining down the problem side and check that the sunroof drain is connected.

I think I need to sit in the back whilst somebody else drives, so I can hear exactly where its coming from.

I had the parcel shelf out recently to fix my rear sunblind (I had the rattle before I did this), so I have checked everything in that area, and had the rear seats out completely, there is nothing loose that I can see. Nothing broken or snapped in the parcel shelf area, and all bolts holding everything on on the pillars are tiht and nothing is loose.

I have looked in the boot area for anything loose around the fuel filler pipe or anything and I still cant find anything.

To remove the headlining I need to re-rivet it wont i?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I need to sit in the back whilst somebody else drives, so I can hear exactly where its coming from.

I had the parcel shelf out recently to fix my rear sunblind (I had the rattle before I did this), so I have checked everything in that area, and had the rear seats out completely, there is nothing loose that I can see. Nothing broken or snapped in the parcel shelf area, and all bolts holding everything on on the pillars are tiht and nothing is loose.

I have looked in the boot area for anything loose around the fuel filler pipe or anything and I still cant find anything.

Yes please have someone drive the car to check on what it is.

Some years back I followed a driverless car and it went about 1/4 mile wandering, then it drove into a lamp post, I stopped and the door opened and a guy crawled out saying that he had a loose connection on his radio.

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)

If it is like the w220 the rivets on the c-pillar attach a spring metal clip to the headliner. This clip attaches the headliner to the bodywork and can be slid off i.e. the rivets do not need to be drilled.

Adam

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I THINK I may have found the source of my rattle. I have the connector for my modified rear lights hanging from the back of the light cluster, as it has some weight to it I figured, hey it might be this, so shoved it behind the trim to trap it.

I have driven around and havent heard it yet.

Once again, my own stupid problem caused by my own stupid actions :) heheh, out all day in the car tomorrow so we will see if it was that.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Once again, my own stupid problem caused by my own stupid actions :) heheh

:rolleyes:

Been there. Had a terrible rattle on an a Vauxhall Senator once that drove me crazy for about 2 weeks ... until I found a spanner that I'd rested at the bottom of the windscreen whilst working on it and forgotten about.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom