W210 snapped bonnet release

WATP1690

Reaction score
Hi,
Help required please.
I haven't opened the bonnet in my 2002 W210 E320 CDI for about 5 months but today I tried and think the cable has snapped at the latch end.
So how do I get the bonnet open without major surgery?
Cheers
FB

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Are you certain that the cable has snapped?

Sometimes the release mechanism jams instead.

If the cable has broken it may have done so at the release handle. This is relatively easy to check as you just need to remove the cover under the dash above the drivers footwell, which is 3 screws, if I remember correctly.

If the cable is still attached there then you may be looking at gaining access to the lock mechanism either from underneath the car or through the grill.

Personally I've not had recourse to do this to a W210 and so don't know the procedure, but there are a few threads on here for the same problem if you have a look. I don't know if any of them are for W210, but they should give you some ideas.

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Hi,
Help required please.
I haven't opened the bonnet in my 2002 W210 E320 CDI for about 5 months but today I tried and think the cable has snapped at the latch end.
So how do I get the bonnet open without major surgery?
Cheers
FB

As WATP said, if you find the cable. Otherwise it may be cutting into the grill with a dremel to get the bonnet open.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If the mechanism has jammed, and you can still get access to the cable, then pull on the cable with some pliers whilst getting somebody to push down on the bonnet on each side, where the catches are located.

You may be able to get it open that way. The cable runs under the slam panel and rusts from the oustide in, causing it to get stuck and then break.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom