W210 - Unusual tyre wear

R

richardgill

The latest set of Continentals have worn really quickly on the rear inside edge of both rear wheels but more on the rear nearside wheel. I've noticed this before and my local Indie says he's seen this before on these models. Anyone know why? Basically this has written off a perfectly good pair of tyres well before their time and I'd like to find out why.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
It's likely that the suspension bushings are worn out and need replacing. Typically thrust arms go first.
I gather that these can be replaced fairly cheaply.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
My 211 does this too. The first part of the rear tyres to wear out is always the inner edges.

what size wheels and tyres are you running?
The wider ones tend to be cambered in at the top, giving better grip in the corners but putting excessive wear on the inner edge. You can counter it to some extent by increasing the pressures by 2 psi or so. I managed to get the last set to wear a lot more evenly by running at 36psi. The inner edge was still bald, but the middle wasn't too far behind and whilst the outer still looked ok, this just meant they looked ok to passing policemen whilst I waited for the new set to arrive! (New set now fitted).

Last edited:
OP
R

richardgill

Running 235 x 45R17s and pressure 31psi although I have run these at 42 when fully loaded - family on holiday etc. Just had good service and MOT and bushes fine.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom