W210 Windows, Mirror adjustment and Boot Opener Not Working

carlosescobar

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I have a E300TD '99 Reg W210 Saloon with a few problems. The windows do not work via the internal switches, however they go down and up using the key. Also, the Mirror adjustment toggle switch is not working and the internal boot lid opener is not working. The boot can be opened via the key however.

Any ideas? I've noticed having searched the forums and web that the centre console switch assembly for the mirrors, mirror toggle and boot opener are part of one unit. I've checked and swapped over the fuses without success and the individual electric window switches in the rear doors don't function either. Tried resetting the windows by holding down the window switches in the up position without any response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure with a little direction this is something I can fix myself without taking it to the dealer.:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum, this all comes down to the controllers in the doors,,they can take in moisture, just for now disconnect the battery for 10 mins to see if they start working again

OP
C

carlosescobar

Reaction score
I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnected. However, the problem still persists. Shall I try disconnecting the battery and leaving it overnight before reconnecting?

Cosworth

Reaction score
have you checked the connection plug to the switch panel.

Which locations have you checked the fuses

OP
C

carlosescobar

Reaction score
Just found water dripping from the internal rear view mirror section onto the switch console. Water must have got into the switch electrics. This may explain the non-functioning switches.

There is corrosion on the roof near the top of the windscreen which has caused the problem. Taken the vehicle back to Mercedes to invoke the 30 year rust warranty. They're not intereseted:(

Anyone know the exact terms & conditions of the warranty and how I go about repairing the switch console?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is the car please and year

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
its the same as mine, Malcolm, a 99 210 saloon. only it works!

OP
C

carlosescobar

Reaction score
It's a 1999 reg E300 Turbo Diesel. I had the windscreen replaced by the RAC a couple of years back because of a crack.

I took the Car to MB Romford and they blame the rust and subsequent leak on a poorly fitted non MB windscreen so won't honour the rust warranty. I am on the case with Autowindsreens who haven't got back to me yet.

With regards to the windows not working. I opened the central console and located the connector for the windows/mirrors/boot opener. After playing around with the connector witout success I cleaned the connections with some vinegar (don't ask me why!!). Hey presto, everything started working again.

However, once the hot weather started it ceased to function!! Vinegar probably evaporated.

Any advice on the correct way to fix this problem?:confused:

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Try switch cleaner. The vinegar is acidic so possibly cleaned up the switch contacts a bit.

OP
C

carlosescobar

Reaction score
Tried the switch cleaner. No success. Any ideas?

BTW Autowindscreens won't fix the problem with the rust near the windscreen unless MB provide their findings in writing.

MB won't provide this in writing and won't honour the rust warranty.

BubaSmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'96 W210 E200
Try to help

Hello Carlos!
At first please excuse my mistakes, English is not my native language.
Now, about your problem. Actually I had something similar. Having into account knob design I think cleaning won't help.
Firs try to operate windows with anoder console. Tell us what is going on! And about rear windows - do the children's safety button is on or off?
If the windows go by another console that does mean it is powered and you have to check your own. My problem was cut track on PCB.
As you know the central console is a PCB with some knobs soldered on it. My vehicle is 97 E200, but I think the knobs are the same. So, the knob is rectangular item consisting of 2 separate knobs. When you remove the plastic cover - the piece that you press, you can see them. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpkS6QcZyg) you can see how to remove the PCB from the cover, but unfortunately without desoldering of mirror ajustment switch you are unable to see both sides of the PCB. If you can handle the soldering iron good, if not ask someone, but I think you must check all the tracks for conductivity. As well as both buttons of the knob in pressed and released state.
And another thing that just came to my mind. I don't know how the comfort function works - it may not be dependable on the console. So you also can check if the window motors get power by pressing knobs. Polarity depends on direction the knob is pressed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Carlos!
At first please excuse my mistakes, English is not my native language.
Now, about your problem. Actually I had something similar. Having into account knob design I think cleaning won't help.
Firs try to operate windows with anoder console. Tell us what is going on! And about rear windows - do the children's safety button is on or off?
If the windows go by another console that does mean it is powered and you have to check your own. My problem was cut track on PCB.
As you know the central console is a PCB with some knobs soldered on it. My vehicle is 97 E200, but I think the knobs are the same. So, the knob is rectangular item consisting of 2 separate knobs. When you remove the plastic cover - the piece that you press, you can see them. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpkS6QcZyg) you can see how to remove the PCB from the cover, but unfortunately without desoldering of mirror ajustment switch you are unable to see both sides of the PCB. If you can handle the soldering iron good, if not ask someone, but I think you must check all the tracks for conductivity. As well as both buttons of the knob in pressed and released state.
And another thing that just came to my mind. I don't know how the comfort function works - it may not be dependable on the console. So you also can check if the window motors get power by pressing knobs. Polarity depends on direction the knob is pressed.

Thank you and welcome to the forum :D:D:D Yes I have read somewhere that the tracks and soldering can go bad, I forgot that one :D:D

Thank you again

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom