w210 windscreen replacement query

Veridian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230...about to purchase will update shortly
Hi folks,
Since I bought my 'Beast' 3 years ago the auto wiper function has been intermittent at best and is usually totally non functioning. Following advice this has been put down to a non-MB replacement windscreen (mines a 'Splintex' rather than an 'MB Sekurit') fitted by a previous owner.

Anyway following a load bang/crack last week which I couldn't trace the cause of for a number of days it turned out my windscrren had suddenly developed a 10 inch crack which runs vertically from the top middle of the screen through the sensor, for about 3 inches, than does a 90 degree turn left horizontally - so it looks like an L viewed from inside - but because of the angle is totally obscured by your rear view mirror from the drivers seat.

So I now need a new screen - which I assume comes with a new sensor. Knowing the issues of Autoglass and sensors etc - should I demand my insurance funds a genuine MB replacement? Anyone had any joy with this?

Many thanks

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
we had a new one from Autoglass

a couple of months ago. No problems with the sensor, although it gave me the heebie-jeebies as I thought it was green instead of blue. eventually the manager got a green MB screen out and did the white paper test and proved it to me. The tinting is not as pronounced on the windscreen as it is on the side windows.
Make sure your man tests it thoroughly with a plant-mister sprayer kind of thing, set on mist, then set it on squirt.
The new one is a Pilkington btw.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I don't think the sensor is supplied as part of the new screen. The mounting and lens probably yes.

I had my screen replaced with Splintex and the auto wiper work perfectly. The other glass all original are PPG Solextra for the front side screens and the others all Pilkington. All original glass has the MB logo above the makers name.

So, non-OEM screen shouldn't mean poor auto-wiper performance so long as the sensor has been recalibrated (adapted) to the new screen..

OP
Veridian

Veridian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Aha.. Mr Bodge has been busy.. I just checked my windscreen more closely and went to remove the internal cover to the sensor assembly and the whole lot came off in my hand - including the windscreen lens mount. D'oh! It looks like at some stage its been taken off and 'fixed' - or not. The lens mount has a crack almost right across it, and the sensor unit had been stuck to the screen with 4 blobs of glue. Amateur night!!!

I've separated the sensor from the mount, which I note is missing some of its reflective chrome. So hopefully I'll be able to reattach the sensor assembly direct to the mount on the new screen.
Thanks folks!:)

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Hi,

I consider myself an expert on this subject having had to replace 3 windscreens in the last couple of years on my car. Bad luck or what!

Each time I was hit by a stone that hit the screen with such force that it put a massive crack through the screen beyond repair.

First things first - the rain sensor isn't part of the screen, it hangs down from the roof inside butting up against the screen glass.

The first time I replaced the screen I requested MB glass from RAC auto windscreens which my insurance company was happy to use with no addition to my £50 excess.

The second and third time, I used Autoglass as I was with a different insurance company who wouldn't let me use MB glass without me paying an extra £150 on top of my glass excess!!
So I had un-branded glass instead. It looks identical to the MB glass except it doesn't have the MB logo in the corner - so don't worry about not having MB glass, it's just fine, has the same colour tint etc and you can see through it - he he.

Re the rain sensor - I read on this forum about the potential for the rain sensor to get knocked etc during the screen change which could stop it working. If this happened it would have to be re-set/callibrated by a Mercedes Benz dealer!

However, in 3 windscreen changes my rain sensor has always worked just fine - the guy changing the glass doesn't need to touch it.

If you are worried about the rain sensor being knocked and needing re-setting, just ask the windscreen company their policy on this before they go ahead with any work.

:)

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Micman, not quite sure about your car / sensor but on my model the sensor clips into a frame glued to the screen and uses 10 lenses that are pre-bonded to the glass.

So the windscreen tech most definately has to touch (i.e. remove) the sensor from the screen!

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Micman, not quite sure about your car / sensor but on my model the sensor clips into a frame glued to the screen and uses 10 lenses that are pre-bonded to the glass.

So the windscreen tech most definately has to touch (i.e. remove) the sensor from the screen!

Really?? I didn't think it was actually stuck to the glass. In theory mine should be the same as yours - it's a 2004 '54' facelift C-class, I see yours is a 2005.

I'll have a look at mine again later and report back.

Either way - I've not had any problems with RAC Windscreens or Autoglass carrying out the work.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Really?? I didn't think it was actually stuck to the glass.

I'll have a look at mine again later and report back.

Either way - I've not had any problems with RAC Windscreens or Autoglass carrying out the work.

Niether have I, Autoglass did a very good job of my replacement :)

OP
Veridian

Veridian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Crikey - 3 windscreens in 2 years!! This is my first for 6 years I think, but regarding my sensor, my poor old W210 only has 4 lenses.. Awrrrh ;)
But the screen mount had been taken off, so it was the actual sensor stuck to the screen. I've unplugged it and taken it off for safe keeping, and will just get Mr Autoglass man to clip my sensor onto the new lens mount.
I was with RAC up until last year but switched to Mr Bransons lot for Insurance - and they want a £75 excess... bugger!

I'll wait until after the Bank hols to get it done, Autoglass will probably have to get the screen ordered anyway, and I dont want 'saturday staff' rebonding my screen!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

I'll wait until after the Bank hols to get it done, Autoglass will probably have to get the screen ordered anyway, and I dont want 'saturday staff' rebonding my screen!

Good move! Try and get to the depot rather than have the work done on your driveway.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
The new windscreens have the correct mounting for the rain sensor already bonded to he screen, all the fitter does is remove the internal cover and unclip the sensor, remove/replace with new screen, clip sensor back into the mounting on the new screen.
No reprogramming required this was my case on a w202 facelift (C43 AMG).
Done by Autoglass, and found them to be very knowledgable and professional.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am sure that the sensor lens is stuck to the screen.

The sensor is mounted at 45º to the lens, and the pick up sensor is also mounted at 45º the beam goes through the lens and the current flows, when a rain drop hits the screen on the lens, it puts the IR beam out of focus, the current drops off and this starts the wiper, simple really

The Rock

Reaction score
I had a sensor go duff on me. The more it rained, the less it wiped. Bizarre or what? Anyway, after having the windscreen replaced (Autoglass) it behaved no differently so I borrowed one off another merc and it proved to be my sensor was indeed kaput.
After a £140 donation to the MB parts department and a 5 minute fiddle all is now fine. FWIW The Autoglass man (Portsmouth) did an excellent job.

Rock

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom