w210 won't shift from Drive or Neutral

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
I have an E220 CDI, w210 body, 2002 which I bought recently. Within a few days I discovered that often, when I stop I can not shift to R or P. The gearshift only moves between D and N. I can not take the key out or drive backwards. Usually, after I stop I can shift once, but if I try to shift again to D, I can not return to R or P until I drive forward, which is not always possible. If it were locked on P, I would have suspected the brake sensor. However, in this case I am clueless:confused:. The only way to release the gear is to insert a screwdriver into the emergency window, and I can't do it always. Any help would be deeply appreciated!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This just sounds like the sector lever is possibly worn (bushes)or the interlock cable is out of adjustment

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
I have the same motor and had a similar problem. At first when you selected drive it jolted into gear. Then you could only move the lever into reverse by turning off the ignition.
The car would only go into second gear.
The dash would not display the gear selected
I had the gear selector replaced and all is well again.
Not a cheap part and you have to drop the gearbox a little to connect it.

OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
Thank you for the swift replies.
Turning off the ignition won't help at all. And, what is strange is that it usually happens after I shift once and return back to Drive. Other than that the gearbox seems to work fine and when in Drive seems to work normally. Malcolm, how can I check if the shifter is worn? And where is the interlock cable. This is my first Merc and I am not familiar with the mechanics.
Thanks again!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can send you the adjustment papers for the shift

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
As above, my first thought would be a failing selector module, especially if the gear display is ever missing or incorrect.

Beyond that, again as above, we might possibly be into adjustment or wear issues - is there a lot of free play in the linkage?

OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
Malcolm, the link to the parts chart is amazing! I will have to find the route to the part I need, but on the way I will get to know my car better. If you can send me the charts, I will try to figure out how to test and adjust the unit. Does the lock that prevent me from shifting have other functions than just to make sure I do not shift by accident to reverse?
Alex- thank you for the response. I am not sure if I have a play in linkage, mostly because I do not know (yet) what exactly is a linkage. I always drove stickshift cars before so I will have to learn a lot. As for the gear display - I have a common VDO ribbon problem, the display is dead. I ordered a ribbon cable from pixelfix and will repair it soon (hopefully). And, I really hope I will not have to change the shifter!

What will happen if I fix the emergency release (in a window at the base of the handle) to be pressed? Will there be any damage to the gearbox or shifter?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You cannot damage anything else by doing that.

I need an Email address to send details

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some details sent :D

OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
I have pinpointed a problem to solenoid of the geatshift handle - it sometimes does not engage. Is there a way of fixing/replacing it? Maybe even a good clean/lubricate job will fix it. Apparently the part is not listed for sale by MB, only whole unit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
Thank you for the info and a circuit diagram. Would you happen to have a blowout chart/instructions how to take out and disassemble my problematic gearshift box? It is a 5 speed tiptronic. I am not sure how to get to this solenoid. When it engages I can hear it barely. I believe it gets power straight from the brake switch, which I am sure is not faulty, but I took it out, disassembled and cleaned all the contacts with contact cleaner anyway.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will be able to print off the removal instructions for the shift box, but not for taking it apart as there is no service info on these, they were just made to be replaced, you could buy one very cheap now on Ebay.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom