W211 270 Strange Zizzing noise

lieutenant gruber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E270 CDI
I think this is related to a problem I had a while ago but couldn't get to the bottom of.

I am convinced there is an escape of air or exhaust gasses from somewhere around the engine bay. From inside the car I can hear a slight zizzing note that is engine speed related: it's most audible at low town speeds. I can also hear what sounds like a typical exhaust "blow" from somewhere at the front end. From inside the car this just sounds like the engine is slightly noisier than it should be: with the door open it is more obvious.

ATS and then my indie had the car for a couple of days before Christmas but couldn't find any exhaust leaks at all but I know there is one somewhere.

Any ideas of where this zizzing and blowing noise could be coming from will be very much appreciated. It will give me something to ponder over and look for when I finally get the car in my workshop. Thanks in advanced.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Hi, check the plastic air intake pipe that connects onto the turbo, they are prone to splitting and won't necessarily trigger a fault code, the exhaust clamp on the cat can also fail, although from your description it sounds like an intake leak.

OP
lieutenant gruber

lieutenant gruber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E270 CDI
Cheers Taffy7hfa,

Presumably this is an easy find?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom