W211 722.9 cold start slipping?

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
Hi, I've asked advice before on my gearbox, it has suffered a slightly jerky (think it was 2-3) change and had your advice on it before. It hasn't really done that for ages, and is actually now very smooth once warm so that aspect is good.

There is a new matter of concern however and that occurs first thing. My drive is quite sloped, so I usually reverse in to park. When you start the car and put it in drive the rpm rises quite high 2500-3000 to get off the drive, it almost feels like the foot brake is still engaged. This happens once and apart from that the box functions normally.

Now as previously discussed I don't believe the fluid has 'ever' been changed, unless its had a previous conductor plate change. The cars on 148,000 and having examined all the evidence I'd rather leave it. I agree it's less than ideal but I don't believe this latest issue would be related directly to the condition of the fluid, although I accept any problems with the box could be related to its lack of servicing.

It seems odd as there's no other symptoms of slippage, even under hard acceleration in a higher gear. Thanks!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If the oil is contaminated with friction material (which is normal during operation) and the filter is clogged you will get lower pressure to the clutches causing additional slippage which further adds more friction material to the oil creating a vicious circle.
Friction material is highly abrasive so will also do the bearings and pump no good either.
It's your choice but in my view it's better to change the oil and filter to restore pressure and remove abrasive particles.
It certainly won't get better through being left.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
You could see if a Mercedes Star diagnostic visit will "interrogate" the box to check that all is OK .
Not spending £200-250 on an oil and filter change because you don't want to let the shockingly thick and damaging gearbox out is not how I would play it , unless of course you are just running the car to destruction without spending any money on it ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could see if a Mercedes Star diagnostic visit will "interrogate" the box to check that all is OK .
Not spending £200-250 on an oil and filter change because you don't want to let the shockingly thick and damaging gearbox out is not how I would play it , unless of course you are just running the car to destruction without spending any money on it ?
Star can look at various parameters in the live data. Thing like pressure and fill times give an idea as to condition.

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your replies, sorry for the delayed response theres been loads going on.

I dont want to service it as a very well respected indy well known on here advised that as it's on its original oil with such high miles to leave it alone.

"Sometimes when we change very old oil the conductor plate gives up"

And I suppose if a tired speed sensor that's covered in old oil and filings/debris is disturbed with new oil maybe that's what finishes it off. It's not about saving £200-300 on a box service, and the indy had no reason to make that up, was doing himself out of a job at the end of the day.

It only seems to happen when I drive forward out of the drive, when I reverse out it seems normal. Could it be a level issue, I can't see/smell any fluid?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A conductor plate is much easier to replace than bearings and clutch packs.

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Replacing the conductor plate writes the car off for me really, it will cost more than I paid for it. Apart from this strange symptom the gearbox works great, could be slightly smoother, but I understand the early ones can be a bit jerky.

It could of course have had a plate change, I might have a look at the box, see if the pan bolts look original. Could this be a sign of low fluid?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Could be low fluid, could be TC lockup issues.

Easy to rule out the latter with STAR

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I know later auto's in E mode select second gear for pulling away from a standstill. Is that the case for yours? Maybe try sport mode which I believe makes it select first to see if that makes a difference?

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys. And I don't want to give the impression I'm being mean, but this isn't a car I'm up for spending loads on. I'm also not willing to pawn it off onto somebody else if it's about to break! :(

So just wondering what's best, I might ask MBS and if they think it needs to go on Star.

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
find a way to get it onto star, at least you will be able to rule out/confirm some causes . USE an indie, dealer will likely spin you a £££££££ solution. before spending large amounts, me, i WOULD dump to the oil and filter ,if that cures it grand, if not yr into yr choice spend/repair V scrap/replace . i would not be prepared to wait for a more inconvenient failure, but thats just me.bon chance....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks guys. And I don't want to give the impression I'm being mean, but this isn't a car I'm up for spending loads on. I'm also not willing to pawn it off onto somebody else if it's about to break! :(

So just wondering what's best, I might ask MBS and if they think it needs to go on Star.
Wise move Mathew

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
prob with some of older benz, take my w208 .its fairly mint ,i have dealt with some rust,but will have to do it again.its a great no worry drive, had it MANY yrs ,seems worth nothing. so just keep it as spare for lovelies a class until some terminal event occurs its a 01 and been my best ever car to date. electronics,yes ,but not an overbearing amount. put it on french plates so MOT every 2 yr and no need to tax ,even if in the uk for awhile. clk.jpg

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
prob with some of older benz, take my w208 .its fairly mint ,i have dealt with some rust,but will have to do it again.its a great no worry drive, had it MANY yrs ,seems worth nothing. so just keep it as spare for lovelies a class until some terminal event occurs its a 01 and been my best ever car to date. electronics,yes ,but not an overbearing amount. put it on french plates so MOT every 2 yr and no need to tax ,even if in the uk for awhile. View attachment 51107
Yeah, totally understand. Being a 2005 mine has no rust, but I don't trust the OM642 or 722.9!

That CLK looks nice, a 320. I had one of those ages ago, all worked too despite it being very cheap.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom