W211 ... are they any good?

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Congratulations anyweb. That is a great looking car and I hope you get many years of pleasure and enjoyment from it.
Minkymerc

OP
syncropaddy

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Im a diesel fan too but I also know that a good petrol engine from Mercedes will last just as long as a good diesel engine from Mercedes and yes we have all heard of the million mile Merc diesels but there are very high mileage petrols out there too.
I was attracted to this E200K by its low mileage and its price. The difference in road tax between a 1.8 and a 2.2 is close on €300 per anumn in my part of the world so thats another thing to look at.
'Her indoors' currently plods about in an E220 W124 and loves it but would like to trade up a bit ..... We are in no hurry as there is nothing wrong with the W124 but every now and then a real bargain pops up and one will again!

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
you should still consider diesel, i mean just look at the ever rising price of petrol, it's ridiculous right now :(

OP
syncropaddy

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
you should still consider diesel, i mean just look at the ever rising price of petrol, it's ridiculous right now :(

I was in Grangesburg two weeks ago and remarked how cheap your petrol and diesel was .......

Petrol here is now €1.70 and diesel is now €1.58 ......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I see the CL500 (216) does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and 23 mpg, but the new CL500cgi does it in 4.7 seconds and 29 mpg

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Petrol here is now €1.70 and diesel is now €1.58 ......

Which puts pay to the lies we're told to explain why diesel is 10p per litre more than petrol over here!
Odd how only a few miles in either direction there is no shortage of refinery capability and yet, in our open market, we can't supplement our supply and lack of refining capacity with imported fuel. Whats so special about UK diesel?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Don't get an E200k unless you like engines with timing gear made of butter and crap performance with the hunger for fuel of a super car. I know in Ireland this is a sought after model, but a 200k is a peice of unreliable, slow and thirsty crap and you are better spending a bit more in tax or in capital and get a diesel.

Buy a nice V6 or V8 petrol or like everyone else, a nice diesel one. These are good cars.
Is the issue with the timing gear on SLK 200K's? Same engine I belive?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Im a diesel fan too but I also know that a good petrol engine from Mercedes will last just as long as a good diesel engine from Mercedes and yes we have all heard of the million mile Merc diesels but there are very high mileage petrols out there too.
I was attracted to this E200K by its low mileage and its price. The difference in road tax between a 1.8 and a 2.2 is close on €300 per anumn in my part of the world so thats another thing to look at.
'Her indoors' currently plods about in an E220 W124 and loves it but would like to trade up a bit ..... We are in no hurry as there is nothing wrong with the W124 but every now and then a real bargain pops up and one will again!

You'll get your EUR300 back in far reduced running costs in fuel and in reduced repair bills. The engine really is bad in a 200k and despite Alex post I've heard of one case of a knackered engine on a youngish 40k miles car and my indie to say avoid. 300EUR is nowt to drive the better more reliable and more frugal model.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom