W211 Asking for Wrong Service!! YIKES!!!

postmastergeneral

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 Sport CDi Saloon 2008
Hi everyone! bit of a conundrum here!

got a e280 sport cdi.

after joining this forum when i got the car i went to an indy to get service C done.

However the dopey bugger must have messed up when resetting the service indicator.

instead of asking for service D it is now asking for service C again. about 239 days overdue.

im going to go to the dealer to get it done this time and hopefully look for a p/ex deal afterwards.

problem is, how the blooming heck do i explain this? is there some way i can mess around with the system so it requests a service D and i can waltz in and just get it done.

ive done hardly any miles in it and am considering selling it because its a lovely motor going to waste :(

many thanks for any help!

"G"

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Hmm I think someone will come on with the reason for this.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The letter isn't really important. I wouldn't worry about it.
The 239 days is though when was the service carried out and has this just come up? Odd if its just decided - possibly just an assist glitch rather than anything the previous guy did. I can't think of what you could do to get it to do that.
The crucial thing is, when was the oil changed? Provided it was within the last 12 months you'll be fine.

OP
P

postmastergeneral

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi jberks

thing is, it has been asking for the service for 239 days. not suddenly. sorry i shouldve been clearer. the service was actually done summer 2010. ive not even done 1000 miles since. i just havent managed to do get round to doing it.

will the dealer help out with this problem you think and reset things back to normal after doing a service? ive been so negligent with this car, its sad. :(

Thanks

G

N

npuk

There is NO service C or even a D. There are only two service types A and B. The letter on the dash does not refer to the service type. It refers to the length of time required to carry out the next service.

A 2008 car is on fixed yearly service, it alternates between Service A and B each year.

If your getting a service done anyway leave it as it is and get the service done, the dealer or indie you use will reset the indicator after.

Last edited by a moderator:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
ours had E displayed:eek:...then i visited MBS and was told to relax and have a coffee:D......all will work out for you!...hope you can keep it and enjoy!:cool:

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
Relax indeed. As said, the W211 ASSYST PLUS system gives the next service a letter from A to H indicating how long the service should take: see the manual. This is completely unrelated to the A and B lettering system that the dealer uses.

To find out what's required, you can generate a service sheet for your car at the MB service web site based on the age and mileage of your car.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can ask the car what it thinks is needed and even clear the service indicator if you're doing the work yourself. More info here (PDF).

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
thing is, it has been asking for the service for 239 days. not suddenly. sorry i shouldve been clearer. the service was actually done summer 2010. ive not even done 1000 miles since. i just havent managed to do get round to doing it. G

As others have said, the service interval for a 2008 car is annual, or at 15,500 from the previous service, whichever is soonest (high mileage drivers sometimes find the system only asks for a service after 17,000 or more miles as the type of use is kinder to the car).

An annual service on a low mileage car is a luxury in the view of many. If you have only done 1,000 miles since the service was due, you have nothing to fear.

However, as you said in another post, you have been negligent with the car. If you did not respond to a daily dashboard reminder every time you used the car, what hope for regular driver maintenance issues like oil level checks, windscreen washer replenishment, tyre pressure checks.

A car is an expensive investment. A reliable car is a tremendous advantage (ask people who were motorists 50 years ago), but they do need some help.

I don't doubt that a service done correctly now will solve the problem, but don't blame "the dopey bugger" who did the last service!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
As above, there is no problem, and nothing to explain.

Also, the previous mechanic who serviced it is possibly not a dopey bugger.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi jberks

thing is, it has been asking for the service for 239 days. not suddenly. sorry i shouldve been clearer. the service was actually done summer 2010. ive not even done 1000 miles since. i just havent managed to do get round to doing it.

will the dealer help out with this problem you think and reset things back to normal after doing a service? ive been so negligent with this car, its sad. :(

Thanks

G

Well, you have been negligent but of you've not used the car then no harm done really IMHO.
Bottom line, the computer is right, you're well over the interval and I'd be looking to get a service done asap but to be honest if I was looking at a used car that had not been serviced for 2 years I'd normally walk away, but if I then discovered it's not run over most of the period either, I'd be willing to cut the seller some slack.

OP
P

postmastergeneral

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks everyone

called up merc ad they want £780 to do the service.

i think i need to find a decent indie locally :(

would this be ok?

thanks

G

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not only ok - the only way to go at that price.
Just had my freelander serviced at a local LR indie - it's really the only sensible way if you're picking up the tab yourself.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
thanks everyone

called up merc ad they want £780 to do the service.

i think i need to find a decent indie locally :(

would this be ok?

thanks

G

Indie is the WAY try

Hertfordshire Merx
11 Protea Way
Protea Business Park
Letchworth Garden City
Hertfordshire
SG6 1JT

Telephone: 01462 672458

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom