W211 blue smoke after idle

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 280cdi sport estate 2005
Hello all,have a 2005 e280cdi om642 engine,if left on idle for 10 mins and then driven clouds of blue smoke out of both exhausts clears in 5 mins then no further problems.I suspect turbo oil seal failed but might be totally wrong.Car drives perfect no loss of boost even when smoking.In the old days I might of said valve stem oil seals but you can rev it till the limiter comes in and back off and no suction of oil/smoke.Any help or previous experience of a similar problem would be appreciated.Many thanks Ian.

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello all,have a 2005 e280cdi om642 engine,if left on idle for 10 mins and then driven clouds of blue smoke out of both exhausts clears in 5 mins then no further problems.I suspect turbo oil seal failed but might be totally wrong.Car drives perfect no loss of boost even when smoking.In the old days I might of said valve stem oil seals but you can rev it till the limiter comes in and back off and no suction of oil/smoke.Any help or previous experience of a similar problem would be appreciated.Many thanks Ian.
When I say turbo seal I mean the internal shaft seal not the red/orange seal.thanks

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Failing turbo seals can lead to an accumulation of oil in the bottom of the intercooler and pipes which can lead to blue smoke when you put your foot down. does it use a lot of oil ?

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Failing turbo seals can lead to an accumulation of oil in the bottom of the intercooler and pipes which can lead to blue smoke when you put your foot down. does it use a lot of oil ?
Hi,no uses next to no oil,500ml in 3000 miles,I think you might be right oil accumulation but surely it can only come from turbo internals i.e.seals? The

chrispynuts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
m l270
Hi it could be the valve stem seals, diesls dont have a negative pressure inlet manafolds and it might be the oil weeping down past the seals at idle. I would think if it is the turbo you would get either constant smoking out the exhaust and worse when accelerating thats if it was the exhaust side of the turbo seal had gone now if it might be the inlet side i would expect smoke to be more constant and again worse when accelerating

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi crispynuts thanks for your thoughts,it's only a short period of blue smoke,does not do it under Italian style hard acceleration and not using much oil.Car has done 177k miles if that helps.Slight play in turbo shaft but very slight.thanks

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Last edited:
OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for diagram,where else do reckon problem could be?

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bit of an update,started car which was left overnight so can't be valve stem seals,no idling then driven hard when warm Italian tune up style no smoke nothing even pulled over to double check.Back at home took turbo y pipe off turbo dry.Connected everything back up left idling on drive smoke after 15 mins.took everything apart again turbo very wet with oil.Seems like turbo oil seal failure.

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bit of an update,started car which was left overnight so can't be valve stem seals,no idling then driven hard when warm Italian tune up style no smoke nothing even pulled over to double check.Back at home took turbo y pipe off turbo dry.Connected everything back up left idling on drive smoke after 15 mins.took everything apart again turbo very wet with oil.Seems like turbo oil seal failure.

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Certainly sounds like it!
Hi John thanks for your reassurance,I think for the sake of a couple of hundred quid and a few hours spannering its worth replacing anyway.Will post photos and outcome when done.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What does the oil smell like. Does it smell like oil or diesel? Could be injectors if the latter.

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What does the oil smell like. Does it smell like oil or diesel? Could be injectors if the latter.
Oil in turbo is definitely engine oil,so oil seal failure.I think what's been happening is that when idling oil builds up in area around orange turbo seal and only gets through induction system when driven.When driven the amount of oil (probably minuscule in terms of the volume of air required by the engine)gets dispersed by the car and very little shows at the exhaust.Please correct me if wrong,but from a logical point of view seems possible.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Very possible, but, poor injector atomisation gives a bluey gray smoke that smells like fuel and can be mistaken for oil smoke.

OP
ian_rowley1

ian_rowley1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very possible, but, poor injector atomisation gives a bluey gray smoke that smells like fuel and can be mistaken for oil smoke.
Hi Alex, hence why I did before and after idle test which eliminated unburnt atomised fuel in the exhaust system, and narrowed it down to turbo oil seal.As I said previously the amount of engine oil around the orange turbo seal after left idling can only mean turbo oil seal failure.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom