W211 E220 Transmission judder

FrenchCollection

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class estate W211 2003 220CDI
My September 2003 220 W211 has 120,000 miles, full MB history. I have had the car for about 5 months.

When the car is hot and climbing a steep hill in low gear near where I live, there is a bit of gearbox judder. I intended to get the fluid changed at the next service, hoping this would address this. As far as I can tell from the service records, this has never been changed.

However, this weekend driving from Calais to the south of France, I was getting the same judder and some droning in top gear when accelerating on the motorway to get up to cruising speed / maintain speed on a hill. The judder started welll into the trip when everyting would have been hot.

Been reading about the glycol in the transmission fluid problem, which sounds like what I have got. Nobody mentioned a loss of coolant associated with this. Is the amount that leaks into the ATF so small that it isn't noticeable?

Also, my car has not been heating up properly. With ambient temperatures of 7 degrees, the car was running at about only 60 deg. Is there likely to be any connection or is it just a coincidence that my thermostat seems to be stuck open?

Anybody know when the Valeo radiator were changed for Behr? Any chance that an ATF change might solve the problem?

I intend to ask MB to do a glycol check on the fluid and only if this is negative (i.e. no glycol) to fully flush the system and change the filter. No point changing the fluid if I am going to aave to change the torque convertor. Or is there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brian

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
2003 E Class I would change the radiator as a matter of course and flush the ATF system entirely. This should cure the problem but it would depend on how bad the judder is, it may not cure the problem and could have wrecked the TC. I would flush the system first with a new rad and try it.

Modified radiators came in around mid 2004. Your running temperature I would say is a thermostat issue and nothing to do with your leaky rad.

Top Bottom