W211 E240 Auto sticking in gear

jons086

Reaction score
HELP!!!!! ...please.

My 2004 (74 k miles) merc has developed an intermittent problem which clears once you turn off the ignition and restart. After driving home (for about 20 miles) and then getting into slow/stopped traffic it would not change gear (but would rev to maximum!). I have noticed recently that the gearbox has sometimes been a bit 'cluncky' (but it could be in my mind!). When it is 'stuck' in gear you cannot switch between C & S modes either - can anybody help with a diagnosis.

Cheers

ian

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Get any fault codes read, but my money is on the conductor plate in the gearbox. About £350 from an indie.

OP
J

jons086

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the posts so far - I can confirmthat there are no annunciations to give any indication of a problem and nothing lit up when the problem happened.

I have check the battery voltage and it is 12.4 v,and goes up to 14.3 volts with the engine running.

does anyone know where I can get more info from - drawings etc?? - I would like to know more about (and where) this electoplate and the pilot bush are located that I have read about on other threads.

Thanks again for you help so far - please keep it going - I need all the help I can get!

OP
J

jons086

Reaction score
thanks - i will have a look and report back.

Cheers

OP
J

jons086

Reaction score
Hi

Changed the oil and filter today - and cleaned the multi-plug & socket which had a small amount of oil on it but nothing drastic or concerning......the problem I now have is that it is stuck in 2nd gear and wont change at all - which is concerning!! & the yellow engine management light is on permanently.

Do you guys out there know if it could be a 'reset' issue or do you think I should change the electo-plate? ..... and is it a DIY change-out or do I need to spend kids xmas cash with a local expert?

cheers

Ian

A

andy@pcd-ltd

i would get the fault codes read first and go from there it might just need resetting.

What did you use to clean the multiplug with.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The lamp being on ,,is the box doing this.

This reminds me of post from long ago where the can connection on the box ECU was poor, these are the end 2 pins on the connector,,cleaning wit a non drying switch cleaner should fix it.

This is a known faults on WIS

OP
J

jons086

Reaction score
thanks again - cleaned the plug & socket with electrical cleaner - allowed it to dry/evapourate, plugged it in & out a couple of times - and have rechecked fit since - no damaged or bent/dislodged pins etc. ???????/

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Have you had any fault codes read?

Where are you based?

OP
J

jons086

Reaction score
No not yet - i will try to get the car over to a local indie tomorrow - but if its going thare I might have to bite the bullet and leave it with them to repair.

Cheers

OP
J

jons086

Reaction score
Ok Thanks to everyone who replied - I took my car into Prestige Servicing at Teeside who were v helpful - they carried out diagnostic checks and found P2200 speed sensor and P2108 Y3/6Y2 shift solenoid had failed (and would not reset) - these were replaced (£££ ouch!!) but the car now runs fine - still dont know why the electro pack & soln failed as I only changed the oil.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Cheers

ian

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
Ok Thanks to everyone who replied - I took my car into Prestige Servicing at Teeside who were v helpful - they carried out diagnostic checks and found P2200 speed sensor and P2108 Y3/6Y2 shift solenoid had failed (and would not reset) - these were replaced (£££ ouch!!) but the car now runs fine - still dont know why the electro pack & soln failed as I only changed the oil.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Cheers

ian
I'm pleased Kevin and Tony at Prestige sorted this for you, I've always found them to be very good

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom