W211 E320 cdi - 2004, drove from Sweden to Spain, arrived fine in Madrid

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
ok I've just driven from Sweden to Spain (2700 kilometers or so) over the last three days and my trusty W211 performed excellently, however in the last 2 kilometers in Madrid city center I opened the windows to hear a sound the sounds like metal against metal when braking (at the front), I've parked the car up and had a quick examination of the brake discs, they aren't new by any means but they look fine, the pads on the other hand are hard to examine due to SBC and no tools (well i've got minimal tools, some spanners and the built in jack in the boot)

so, I can safely leave my car parked up until friday in the carpark but we still have to drive to the south of france on friday (another 1200 kilometers or so) and then from there back to Sweden, so to determine the problem what would you recommend, can I safely jack the car up with the mercedes built in jack, if so how does that work i normally always use a 'real' jack so sorry for the dumb question

secondly, how can i determine what is causing the noise, is it likely to be worn out pads (at the back of the front disc) and if so why hasnt my display popped up a warning ?

I did get one warning in the drive down and that was to add one litre of oil to the car at my next fuel stop, which I did.

your advice appreciated

cheers
niall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Bad luck Niall, these cars do not have sensors on all 4 wheels and it sounds that the pads are worn out. It will damage the disc if you drive to far. Service is cheap inSpain

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
thanks Malcolm I don't suppose anyone here knows a reputable dealer/indy in Madrid by any chance, i'm here until Friday

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
update I drove the car gently... to Mercedez Benz in Madrid and explained the problem (in my mind at least) and I've asked for new pads fitted, they of course have thrown in that they think i need new discs too, so I have no choice but to get the car fixed before the next part of my journey

they'll contact me tomorrow with the results of their investigation and i'm praying that they don't tell me i need new things costing a zillion Euros

wish me luck

cheers
niall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The labour rates are much cheaper out there, so good luck:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What a joke on the disc, OK they maybe on their limits, just no way of knowing but unusual for all 7 to be bad

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i assume you mean all 4, but they didn't say 'all 4' to me, they just insinuated that i needed the front discs changed along with the pads (plus possibly more)

so we'll see tomorrow what they decide is the final outcome, i'll update you once i know

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ask them to measure the disc to see if they are past their best :D

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
and they didn't call me as promised... so i guess that they are planning on replacing more than my discs/pads :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and they didn't call me as promised... so i guess that they are planning on replacing more than my discs/pads :(

There is not anymore they can change, enjoy your holiday :D:D

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
update: I picked up the car just now, the job was done, they've replaced the front pads and discs for an amazing 349 Euros, that's 100 euros cheaper than they quoted originally, plus they returned the original parts to me (the old discs in case i need them) and for my troubles they gave me a 4GB USB key in the shape of a mercedes key, a mercedes pen, and washed the car plus of course a nice cup of coffee while i was waiting

what they lacked in their command of english they made up for with their great hospitality and wonderful service, full marks to Mercedes Benz of Madrid ! I'm impressed to say the least.

cheers
niall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Excellent, I told you they would be cheaper :D:D please enjoy the rest of your trip.

I have no idea yet if we will make Sweden this year,, on day we will catch up

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
update: I picked up the car just now, the job was done, they've replaced the front pads and discs for an amazing 349 Euros, that's 100 euros cheaper than they quoted originally, plus they returned the original parts to me (the old discs in case i need them) and for my troubles they gave me a 4GB USB key in the shape of a mercedes key, a mercedes pen, and washed the car plus of course a nice cup of coffee while i was waiting

what they lacked in their command of english they made up for with their great hospitality and wonderful service, full marks to Mercedes Benz of Madrid ! I'm impressed to say the least.

cheers
niall

As they say - All's well that ends well :D

In general I find Mercedes over here are always very helpful, and the work seems to be cheaper than in the UK.

Which goes to show that it can be a good thing to break down on the "Continent". ;)

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
As they say - All's well that ends well :D

In general I find Mercedes over here are always very helpful, and the work seems to be cheaper than in the UK.

Which goes to show that it can be a good thing to break down on the "Continent". ;)

My main dealer only charges 49€/hour. As you say, much cheaper than the UK. :p

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom