W211 (E320 CDI) 2004 - no cup holder !!!

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
It was available as an extra and very useful it is too, on golf tours, 3 golf bags three suitcases and 3 people sat in comfort.

Because I read your post without noticing the title, I initially thought you had managed to fit this lot into an E-Class cupholder, which would have been rather impressive! :lol:

Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
Re. cupholder ...clearly designed for LHD vehicles I suspect. :rolleyes:

Mass market car designs always seem to be heavily biased towards LHD. Consequently our RHD cars tend to burden us with numerous, compromised LHD features.

A RHD Jaguar X-Type Sport Premium Estate I once foolishly bought (won't be hoodwinked by Jeremy Clarkson again!) had the pedal box on the right (obviously ;) ), but the master cylinder remained on the left, resulting in the worst brakes I had ever experienced on a modern car.

The cross-connecting bar that transferred the pedal action to the master cylinder acted like a torsion spring, making the brakes feel permanently spongy and ineffectual.

Once I had experienced this and other issues (mostly the crap gearbox and permanently faulty alarm system), I couldn't get rid of the car quick enough. Lost £5K on it in 11 months :-(

Razoo

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I had a Saab 93 saloon previously. The joy of back folding seats should not be underestimated. I believe all C and E classes can now have folding seats as an optional extra (for around £350). I just find it incredulous that this is not standard in a car that sells for more than 40K with optional extras.

Why? Why should I pay for an extra to be standard that I do not want. There are £30k's worth of extras listed for the E class last time I added it up. I want very few of them but others want more or different ones. I want memory seats, (5ft wife who drives every day as do I), parktronic, telephone pre-wiring, heat reflecting glass in the back (keep the dogs cool) and leather
but not much else. I have never wanted or needed folding rear seats in a saloon - but am delighted that those who do want them can specify them as an extra.
BTW there is a sort of cupholder in the 211 just many don't realise that it is one. In the centre armrest open the first little door in front of the padded bit and it holds a MacDonalds coffee perfectly and securely. Or use for bits and bobs.

My guess is that MB safety guys didn't really approve of hot cups of coffee in little plastic holders being used in a moving car that may have to stop very suddenly. Noy sure I do either. I try to only use when parked.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is my cup holder, I could have another in the other slot for double trouble

Attachments

• DSC00217.JPG
    DSC00217.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00218.JPG
    DSC00218.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 148

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
This is my cup holder, I could have another in the other slot for double trouble

As you say Malcolm, in "pole position" for spills. S**B used to have a much simpler system where the moulding on the inside of the glove box door had rings inset into it. When the lid was open and horizontal you could place several cups or mugs side by side IIRC.

I did not encourage "drinking and driving", which I think is a good thing, and there were no moving parts.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Good old w210 has indents in glove box lid for two coffee cups.

I can't say that it's a problem. I just don't drink and drive.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Good old w210 has indents in glove box lid for two coffee cups.

I can't say that it's a problem. I just don't drink and drive.

Ah no, there is a really funky transformer style cup holder for the 210 too. It's actually a lot better than the 211 one.

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
I have had my car for 3-years now and the most frustrating part (apart from how much I paid and watching the dramatic depreciation of the car) is not having a simple cup holder, in what is supposedly an executive class car.

Can't help thinking maybe you've answered your own argument with that one.

It's an executive car, executive's have breakfast meetings, or arrange meetings over a coffee in urban chic coffee outlets - drinking out of china cups/mugs!

Sales reps grab coffee in polystyrene cups while rushing between appointments, hence the reason Vectra's and Mondeos are full of cupholders!!

Students love fast food drive-thru outlets, hence the reason Halford's sell aftermarket cup holders as the Vauxhall Nova was invented before the drive-thru!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Last edited:

xocbc

Reaction score
I picked up my W211 estate today...and as my daily commute to work involves a stop at Costa, the lack of cup holder is scaring me already...

Are recommendations for an aftermarket one capable of holding a large Costa cup that doesn't look naff?

halflife1973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Aventgarde, Mk1 MR2
What about what of those hats that Homer Simpson wears, you know the one that has a can on either side and a couple of straws. You could fit cups instead and put a MB badge of each one marketing it as an innovated genuine accessory.

On my way to patent it now before any of you get any idea's

Halfwit (previously Halflife)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I picked up my W211 estate today...and as my daily commute to work involves a stop at Costa, the lack of cup holder is scaring me already...

Are recommendations for an aftermarket one capable of holding a large Costa cup that doesn't look naff?

Yes - buy the proper MB one.
Everything else will look naff and probably fall off, taking your coffee with it.
I do use mine from time to time and works well.

xocbc

Reaction score
I got my cup holder from the local MB dealer today...nice but as mentioned elsewhere it seems to have been designed for a LHD car...I'm thinking of writing to MB and asking them how they expect me to indicate without knocking my coffee over...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I got my cup holder from the local MB dealer today...nice but as mentioned elsewhere it seems to have been designed for a LHD car...I'm thinking of writing to MB and asking them how they expect me to indicate without knocking my coffee over...

They want you to spill it into the center console, then they can grab another £1200 from you

xocbc

Reaction score
They want you to spill it into the center console, then they can grab another £1200 from you

Yes it seems highly susceptable to being knocked with an elbow and flooding down past the transmission shifter etc. Stupid design, actually removing the small stowage box makes the cuppy hole a nice snug fit for a large costa cup, maybe I should have stuck with that!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it seems highly susceptable to being knocked with an elbow and flooding down past the transmission shifter etc. Stupid design, actually removing the small stowage box makes the cuppy hole a nice snug fit for a large costa cup, maybe I should have stuck with that!

It is the same on my SL smack over the transmission selector.

The car book showed cup holder down the sides of the seats,,but they never came into production

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom