W211 (E320 CDI) 2004 - no cup holder !!!

MBDiesal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI
I have had my car for 3-years now and the most frustrating part (apart from how much I paid and watching the dramatic depreciation of the car) is not having a simple cup holder, in what is supposedly an executive class car.

I have since purchased an after market clone that fits very well and does the job. I however have always wondered what the original reasoning was by MB to omit this inexpensive necessity on a 40K car (brand new). I appreciate the rear arm rest has two cup holders but these are no good when one is on their own.

That is my 10p worth. Are there any other simple MB annoying facts (possible improvements) that forum members want to share?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Only that where MB do put the cup holder on cars like my SL,,one emergency stop and you have a bill for £1k when the coke or what ever messes up your gear selector module:confused:

swells

Reaction score
Only that where MB do put the cup holder on cars like my SL,,one emergency stop and you have a bill for £1k when the coke or what ever messes up your gear selector module:confused:
Yet another reason not to DRINK & DRIVE :lol:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
. Are there any other simple MB annoying facts (possible improvements) that forum members want to share?

The 211 saloons seats don't fold. Not a massive inconvience but it sent a new E280cdi owner on here up the wall. Other than that in basic trim its a very well equipped car.

OP
M

MBDiesal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI
Ditto .... the worst part of drinking and driving (Malcolm) is when you spill it :)

On a serious note though, isn't the gear box leather cased entirely around for protection ??? I have spilled my coffee on a few emergency stops but luckily the leather has protected the gearbox.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have had a few 210's and 211's where the drink has messed up the sector module, and very exppensive

OP
M

MBDiesal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI
Hmmnnn ........... plenty of food for thought ......... Thank you for the warning. I clearly need to be more careful. I naively assumed the leather was specifically there to protect and did so rather efficiently.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The other thing that has decreased their popularity is that you can be fined for driving without due care if caught drinking, or eating a banana

P

PanzerMcGrory

The 211 saloons seats don't fold. Not a massive inconvience but it sent a new E280cdi owner on here up the wall. Other than that in basic trim its a very well equipped car.

Not a massive inconvenience until you need to fold the rear seats down but cant.

OP
M

MBDiesal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI
I appreciate this but sometimes your front passenger may simply wish to store safely their coffee - even if you don't. It was very frustrating not having a simple cup holder in an MB when my wifes VW Polo (2008) has an innovative holder in the dash i.e. auto push and pop out.

I tried to live without one and did so (unsuccessfully) for nearly two years. I was essentially driven to buying an after market alternative to save my sanity ...

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Not a massive inconvenience until you need to fold the rear seats down but cant.

Right on cue Don...

Suppose so. Guess there is an excellent estate and 4x4 range (including the R class) to cover this base though.

Perhaps though if MB didn't try and make niches for themselves they might have ended up with a better thought out car which wouldn't be open to such criticsm.

OP
M

MBDiesal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI
I had a Saab 93 saloon previously. The joy of back folding seats should not be underestimated. I believe all C and E classes can now have folding seats as an optional extra (for around £350). I just find it incredulous that this is not standard in a car that sells for more than 40K with optional extras.

Yaff

Reaction score
If the 04 E Class is the same as the 06, you CAN have a cup holder in the front.

Cupholder - E-class/CLS-Class
[B66920118] £33.00

Cupholder to fit in the centre 'hole' between the armrest and the gear stick. Remove the plastic pot from the 'hole' and place the cupholder in its place. Holds two cans/bottles. push buttom open and folds closed easily. Model Series: W 211 from 03/2002 to 05/2006, S 211 from 03/2003 to 05/2006, C 219 from 10/2004, W 211 from 06/2006, S 211 from 06/2006

This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 18 May, 2006.

Only £33 from

http://shop.mercedes-benzofmiltonke...t_info.php?cPath=131_154_200&products_id=1030

Works well, you just have to be careful as the cup sticks up and its easy to knock it if you grab the wheal quick.

P

PanzerMcGrory

If the 04 E Class is the same as the 06, you CAN have a cup holder in the front.

Cupholder - E-class/CLS-Class
[B66920118] £33.00

Cupholder to fit in the centre 'hole' between the armrest and the gear stick. Remove the plastic pot from the 'hole' and place the cupholder in its place. Holds two cans/bottles. push buttom open and folds closed easily. Model Series: W 211 from 03/2002 to 05/2006, S 211 from 03/2003 to 05/2006, C 219 from 10/2004, W 211 from 06/2006, S 211 from 06/2006

This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 18 May, 2006.

Only £33 from

http://shop.mercedes-benzofmiltonke...t_info.php?cPath=131_154_200&products_id=1030

Works well, you just have to be careful as the cup sticks up and its easy to knock it if you grab the wheal quick.

Yes one cupholder for two seats.

OP
M

MBDiesal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI
Thanks Yaff. This is precisely what I bought - and coincidently - I bought it on-line from your site. For info. there are two holders with the mod - one raised and one slightly beneath - both just slightly too small for a McDonald large coke. .

What I do not understand and my original question, particularly as MB now stock this item, is why it was not standard on new cars between 2004-2006 (?) Any ideas with you MB hat on?

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
RoboCup

I have had my car for 3-years now and the most frustrating part (apart from how much I paid and watching the dramatic depreciation of the car) is not having a simple cup holder, in what is supposedly an executive class car.

When I was checking over my 2004 E320 CDi with a view to buying it, the owner was immensely proud of its cupholder, which he demonstrated with great enthusiasm.

The cupholder resides in the little storage compartment between the centre armrest and the gear selector. It performs like something out of Star Wars - a kind of robotic arm that leaps out of the cubby hole, does a couple of backward flips and presents itself ready to receive a cup. It's ridiculously clever and completely OTT. I often wonder about the design process that must have gone into developing it. Someone at MB had far too much time on their hands.

So, my W211 E320 has a cupholder, but simple it is not!

I've never used it, and probably never will. However, it does fascinate small children and adults alike.

If you have £35.99 (+ £3.00 shipping) to waste, there's 10 on eBay right now:

Genuine Mercedes E-Class-Cupholder; eBay Item No. 350157632839

Razoo

Attachments

• RoboCup.jpg
    RoboCup.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 151

Mercedes 190E

Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI, 2004 A140 Classic SE (Parents!)
I bought mine a couple of months ago from my local Mercedes dealer for £31.00 Ebay isn't always cheapest! ;)

The biggest problem with the holder is that it unfolds TOWARDS the driver and gets in the way somewhat-clearly designed for LHD vehicles I suspect. :rolleyes:

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
211 Folding seats

It was available as an extra and very useful it is too, on golf tours, 3 golf bags three suitcases and 3 people sat in comfort.

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The cupholder resides in the little storage compartment between the centre armrest and the gear selector. It performs like something out of Star Wars - a kind of robotic arm that leaps out of the cubby hole, does a couple of backward flips and presents itself ready to receive a cup. It's ridiculously clever and completely OTT. I often wonder about the design process that must have gone into developing it. Someone at MB had far too much time on their hands.Razoo

Probably the same nerd who designed the folding powered hood on the 129, and the folding hardtop on the 230. Pure genius, but so simple when someone shows you how. :Oops:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably the same nerd who designed the folding powered hood on the 129, and the folding hardtop on the 230. Pure genius, but so simple when someone shows you how. :Oops:

Just imagine a £1.5k bill to fix the cup holder:rolleyes::wink:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom