W211 E320 cdi - drove from Sweden to Spain and back again, all went well !

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)

Attachments

• mileage.jpg
    mileage.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 104

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Pleased it all went well Niall, at least it was cheaper to do the brakes than in Sweden :D

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
If looked after just shows what W211 are capable of...

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
agreed i think too many are complaining about them instead of telling how wonderful they really are :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
agreed i think too many are complaining about them instead of telling how wonderful they really are :)

Just like the average wife :cool::cool:;)

Clarence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d SE Executive Estate
If it's of interest not long back from 2 week holiday at Canet Plage on the Med nr Perpignan, two of us in 2006 E2.8cdi Elegance, done 100k miles. Route: Preston - Hull - Zeebrugge - Lille - Paris - Orleans - Beziers - Perpignan, going over the magnificent Millau viaduct.

About 900 miles each way with one fill up, both ways at Etampes just south of Paris (isn't having an 80 litre tank great!). Consumption about the same for all four legs at 44 - 45 mpg, mostly driving at around 80 mph on Autoroute sections giving an overall average speed of about 68 mph. Very pleased with these figures especially as we were carrying a lot of weight coming back due to bringing home some 150 bottles of wine.

Very comfortable ride, felt good cruising at 80 mph over the Massif Centrale, aircon on to counter the 32 deg temp outside. Autoroutes away from the cites amazingly quiet by UK standards.

Only problem we had (obviously not down to the car itself) was being miles from anywhere on a trip out one day and had a puncture due to a piece of metal in the road. Tyre was virtually new and as the nuts had been put on with an air gun I couldn't shift them. Fortunately had a mobile signal so phoned Green Flag in Bradford who arranged for a mechanic to come out and change the wheel. We were on our way again in less than an hour, great service from GF. Had to buy a new tyre but found a very helpful establishment in Perpignan who sorted it out for me and the total bill for a new Continental tyre was less than I had paid for the original tyre a couple of months ago in Lancashire.

Last edited:
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
cool stuff, was that an estate ?

i've been to canet plage as well years ago though when i was still a teenager,

did you not have a spare tire with you ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spare tyres are now an extra on many cars, some have no room for one

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
A space saver is ok as long as you can get the car to a tyre shop. Sadly though it means the normal wheel must be carried in the car, not spare wheel well as it won't fit

Clarence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d SE Executive Estate
Not an estate. As just the two of us plenty of room for the wine which was mainly stowed in the rear footwells and (well wrapped in bedding) on the back seat. This was to ensure that weight was kept as low as possible and between the front and rear axles, and also as far as possible to prevent bottles flying like missiles if an accident happened.

Yes, had a space saver spare (pressure was checked before leaving home!) which got us back to Canet. Problem was that I couldn't shift the wheel nuts which had been put on with an air gun when I had bought the tyre. Standing on the wheel brace didn't help and the mechanic who came to help us needed a bit of pipe on the brace to give better leverage before they shifted.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A good stamp with the foot on the wheel wrench will more than often work well. A ll the pulling in the world often just bends the wrench = shock

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom