1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w211 fan removal (to remove alternator)

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by DY2, Nov 27, 2012.

1. DY2

DY2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211 2003 E320 Cdi Automatic
    While out the other night, the car dash lit up like an early christmas tree with a lot of malfunctions... Consumers shut down, Brake defective, ABS, ESP, SBC.... etc etc.

The rear battery is a new install (less than 1 week) and the small battery in the engine bay is relatively new, when I had the SBC pump replaced a few months back.

I tried taking the voltage reg. from the back of the alternator, rather than complete removal of the alternator, but, it seems one of the nuts has rounded off and I cannot grip it sufficiently to undo, and space is very tight. So complete removal has become the only option.

However, trying to remove the darn alternator seems a challenge into itself, from abover too. I have removed the air filter housing and two pipes for the water pump, but i am struggling to get the alternator out of the tight space. There is very little room between the water pump, a electrical box? and a metal offshoot used for a bolt to the alternator... so seems to get a little bit more room, the only option is to remove the fan.

Does anyone have removal process to get the fan out, please?. Im sure its not difficult, but.. :)

[​IMG]

2. mersum1es

mersum1es Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
  3. OP
    DY2

DY2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211 2003 E320 Cdi Automatic
    Thank you for the links.

I had a go at the fan, and managed to get it out.

The new alternator is in, and so far, looking good, with the rear battery sitting at 14.1v with the engine running :D