W211 gps fault

sheepwolf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 / 2004 / e320
Hi all,

Just bought a 2004 w211 e320 and having a few niggles.

My Nav / GPS is playing up. My location is showing that I'm out at sea and from my understanding the Comand setting to change date and time is linked to the GPS ie. with GPS & nav enabled systems you can't manually set the date or time accurately.

Im not sure if i need a new updated disk & firmware update or a new GPS Antenna.

So I'm thinking of replacing the GPS antenna with something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-Ante...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or this:

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/generic_gps_antenna.html

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the route to take and if anyone had a diagram or instructions on how and where to connect the antenna / if i could install it in the boot area without disassembling the tailgate.

I was hoping to unplug the current gps cable and insert the new / place in a hiden spot near the dvd or fuse box.

On another note, was wondering if anyone has an experience upgrading the firmware for Comand and if this is good idea or risky and what you achieve by doing this ie. more options / settings unlocked or is it just better to not muck around if its woking fine the way it is?

Many thanks,
Wade

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Wade
Sorry I can’t help with your issue but there are some bright sparks on here (get it?)

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
You are best off with a genuine GPS antenna. Changing it is straight forward and should resolve your positioning issues.

If you buy a genuine Navigation disk from a reputable seller then it will have the necessary navigation firmware on it which will be loaded first time you insert the disk. You wont get any updated features though, just bug fixes.

OP
S

sheepwolf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 / 2004 / e320
Thanks for your responses guys!

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
try and buy a fakra one off ebay , fitting is pretty easy on the left side of the boot , when you remove the inner liner. you can punch / drill a small hole in the parcel shelf and stick the unit to the rear window as i did , and feed the wire down , just be wary of the wire and not to foul the boot opening spring/mechanism .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAT-NAV-...843984&hash=item3f9587852d:g:7xcAAOSwOd1awvBM

OP
S

sheepwolf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 / 2004 / e320
Nice one, onefortheroad!

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
You can download and burn a firmware update to cd from the comand website.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The GPS antenna in the first post is the one I bought and installed in my E55. It's not difficult and I put mine on the rear parcel shelf. Just unplug the old fakra connection and tie it back with a cable tie. Its not worth removing IMO.

This is the thread I made when I changed mine with a few photos that may help.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/gps-antenna-repair.167997/

OP
S

sheepwolf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 / 2004 / e320
What a great guide, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom