W211 OM642 smoke on idle query

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
I remember going to see a VW Phaeton 3.0tdi that was producing white smoke at idle. I checked it out online and it's a classic sign of injector failure on that engine at least.

OP
H

h4r7l3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202/1998/2.4V6
It is unlikely to be turbo as at idle it's not doing anything.
This is what im thinking, been driving it and on idle or sat in traffic once it is warm after several minutes it will start to slightly smoke, I have bought an injector spill kit to test the 6 injectors, hopefully this is the issue as I just want to cure it as it drives fine, MPG is good 35-40mpg, no issues with power or rough idle and no issues starting especially now its getting cold.

Just to clarify the injector leak test all of the injectors when running should be near level with each other, if one is higher then that's the leak and the issue?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
If the injectors are dripping it won't show on a leak off test sadly. The only way to test for dripping is with the injectors removed from the car and on a test bench.

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2007 3.0CDI CLS55 2006 AMG
What was the solution to this please? I have either the same issue or the same car!

OP
H

h4r7l3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202/1998/2.4V6
What was the solution to this please? I have either the same issue or the same car!
I replaced 2 injectors and the smoke has reduced alot. It will still smoke slightly as I have a straight though exhaust from the turbo. I code read it and shut an injector each down on my snapon machine whilst the car was running until the smoke stopped. Found to be no1 and No3 injector

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2007 3.0CDI CLS55 2006 AMG
Mine also a 2007 ML280 (remapped) does same thing but only when warm and left to idle for 30mins....then once driven it clears and then there is no real visable smoke at all under normal driving.
If you wait until it smokes then turn off and leave it for a few days....its as tho its left at the same point, so it will then and only then smoke from cold start until its driven and cleared like above....
It's going in to a MB indi next week......just hope whatever it is....the engine is "serviceable" i.e. not a write off.....the car realy is lovely.
I can live with it being one or two injectors.....so fingers x'd!!!
Thanks for the reply!
20191107_173110.jpg

OP
H

h4r7l3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202/1998/2.4V6
Mine also a 2007 ML280 (remapped) does same thing but only when warm and left to idle for 30mins....then once driven it clears and then there is no real visable smoke at all under normal driving.
If you wait until it smokes then turn off and leave it for a few days....its as tho its left at the same point, so it will then and only then smoke from cold start until its driven and cleared like above....
It's going in to a MB indi next week......just hope whatever it is....the engine is "serviceable" i.e. not a write off.....the car realy is lovely.
I can live with it being one or two injectors.....so fingers x'd!!!
Thanks for the reply!
View attachment 55322
Did you find out what your issue was?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom