W211 Power Steering

ajtayblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 CDI
Hi All,
Can I fit a Steering Rack which has a speed sensitive transducer on it to a car without that function, i.e. just leave it disconnected? Will it still work?
Thanks for any replies
W211 E270 CDI 2002 (52 plate)

taffbrake@hotmail.com

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e2lt 190e2.6 c220 c220cdi202 c220cd203 w211
ajtayblue
sorry this post is no help to you! but I'm interested in the outcome as mine I'm told is broken and needs replacing..I only ever notice it when parking, has anyone got a diagram of the part?

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
If I remember correctly the sensor is powered up as the speed increases and it restricts the fluid flow so the steering is less assisted at speed. In theory it may fit but you would have maximum power assistance all the time, which can't be good.

I'm pretty sure that some steering guru will be along soon to confirm that this rack will or will not fit.

IMO I think I'd get the right one for my car, just in case after all the hassle of fitting it the damn thing didn't feel right. I don't think fitting these racks is a 10 minute job.

OP
A

ajtayblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 CDI
Thanks amb67.
My fear was that it was the other way round and that the sensor was fully powered at low speeds. I understand though that there will be no reduction in the power assistance at speed. My twisted logic is telling me that I don't have that luxury now anyway!
The mounting and dimensions are exactly the same as the current rack so it will physically fit.
Anyway I am not a MB expert so will take on board what you have advised. The reason that I have asked is that I do actually have this rack with the sensor sitting spare in my garage. Be a shame if I can't use it!
Thanks again

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
What's wrong with the rack you have fitted now, can it not be overhauled?

Seeing as you have the rack and as long as it's a known good unit then it would be rude not to try it.

OP
A

ajtayblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 CDI
Hi,
The current rack is cracking and grinding as I turn the wheel.
With regards to getting it overhauled, its a possibility, its just the time factor. i need the car back on the road asap.
Thanks for your help.

OP
A

ajtayblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 CDI
Hi All,
Just as a follow up, it is NOT possible to fit a SPS rack into a car without that facility.
It appears that at low speeds there is a higher current on the sensor which then reduces as the car speed up to stiffen the steering.
Glad I found out before I fitted it!
Anyway, got the proper rack now and all is OK.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom