W211 / S211 E220CDI Prop Shaft - HELP!

stevem9

Reaction score
Website
j-l.co
Your Mercedes
S212 E250CDI & S212 E350CDI CDI 2012 & 2013, A couple of MLs, a CLK320 and a Merc Power Jeep
I have just bought an early 2008 E220CDI estate to replace my rusting 2001 version. The new one has a terrible vibration which I think comes from the propshaft as I had a similar issue with the old one some years back.

I cannot find out what propshafts will fit. Mine is a 5 speed auto tip. What other years/models will fit as finding one the same as mine at the breakers is proving fruitless.

Thanks

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
I have just bought an early 2008 E220CDI estate to replace my rusting 2001 version. The new one has a terrible vibration which I think comes from the propshaft as I had a similar issue with the old one some years back.

I cannot find out what propshafts will fit. Mine is a 5 speed auto tip. What other years/models will fit as finding one the same as mine at the breakers is proving fruitless.

Thanks

IF you're right about the source of the vibration, why not get it balanced? First, though, have you checked the wheels and tyres?

Is the vibration related to engine speed or road speed?
Is it affected by load (power / braking or cornering)?
If you briefly knock it into neutral (< 40mph only!), does the vibration continue?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I have never replaced a propshaft on a MB for vibtration. Done plenty of centre bearings however. But there could also be other issues which gives a vibration from the transmission such as worn engine or gearbox mountings, TC lock up clutch issues or even valve body judder.

I would have a good independent look at it for you before you go buying bits you may not need.

OP
S

stevem9

Reaction score
Website
j-l.co
Your Mercedes
S212 E250CDI & S212 E350CDI CDI 2012 & 2013, A couple of MLs, a CLK320 and a Merc Power Jeep
It is speed related, reduces when under heavy load but creates quite a shake through car and sounds like a bearing out. On my old one it felt exactly the same and a 'new' prop solved the issue (this was at 180k BTW) I've heard that the centre bearings wear to the point where the prop needs replacement but this is hearsay as I don't know anyone with direct experience of it except perhaps me, I replaced the prop as I got a new one for £25 complete from a local breaker out of a car with 77K recorded and it was cheaper and easier than replacing bits so mine may have been shot but I really don't know.

The new car has done 186k (but has full service history) and other than this vibration which is less when cold but comes in from about 30MPH and just gets worse as speed increases it feels tight and just as it should.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
The symptoms described sound like a collapsed centre bearing.

The low speed vibration is the propshaft not having proper support at the revolutions it is doing at that speed. At higher speed, it is revolving so fast that the imbalance hasn't time to manifest itself, if that makes sense, and the propshaft to some degree 'self-centres'.

An analogy of this would be your every-day domestic washing machine/spin drier. When it sets off, the load is imbalanced and the vibrations can be considerable. When it's up to speed however, the vibration is much less.

Same forces at work!

Top Bottom