W211 Suspension noise.

Flyer_400

Reaction score
I have searched the forum for a similar problem to mine but can find nothing similar.

I have an W211 E320CDi Sport Automatic. I bought it when it was 6 weeks old with just 600 miles on the clock in November 2007. Soon after purchase I noticed a strange creak, almost a knock, from the suspension when going over certain uneven road surface. I had bought the car in the north but live in the south. When the car went in to have the gearbox repaired (around 1500 miles!) I asked the excellent local dealership to investigate the suspension noise. They found nothing.

Every contact I had with the dealership I complained about the noise. They had the car for a few days at one point and drew a blank although I could demonstrate the noise at will. After some pushing on my part they had a gentleman called a Customer Support Technical Manager come down from Milton Keynes (he came in an identical car he claims) and some weeks later he wrote me a letter full of meaningless waffle (in my opinion) with gems such as:

Your car is fitted with the Sports Suspension option. This version of suspension is designed with perfomance as a major influence to accommodate a more dynamic driving style associated with the Sports model. The sound you are hearing, when going over the uneven surfaces or speed restriction humps, is the rebound of the suspension working to keep the wheel and tyre in contact with the road surface.

Sports suspensions are designed to offer the highest level of handling and traction and by their design may demonstrate very different characteristics to other suspensions.

Unbeknown to him I had since learned from a friend that he had purchased a W211 E320CDi Avantgarde when they first appeared in the UK and that he had repeatedly complained about an identical noise. After 6 months or so he was given a full refund because they were unable to cure the problem. Off the record a technician had told him he wasn't alone with this problem.

I wrote back to the Customer Support Technical Representative and he conveniently said he was unable to comment on my pal's car without driving it but that the AVantgarde had suspension lowered by 15mm and was, therefore, similar.

I replied quoting another car (E320CDi Avantgarde) belonging to my brother-in-law which did NOT demonstrate the noise. That was some 6 weeks ago and I believe Mercedes Benz UK are now ignoring me.

The noise appears to emanate from different places depending on where you are sitting but it is so predictable I can provoke it at will by driving over any large change in road surface, (like a speed hump) preferably with the wheels on one side of the car remaining on the level.

What makes the problem intolerable is that at the entrance to my road is an elevated junction to slow traffic and I hear the noise without fail everytime I depart or arrive home!

I cannot believe that there is not either a design issue or fault with the car. A car of the undoubted calibre and cost of a MB should not make inexplicable and annoying suspension noises.

Does anybody have any experience of a similar problem or any suggestions while I consider my next move?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,

I have a E320CDI Avantgarde with the sports suspension, mine doesn't make any noise at all and hasn't done for >58K miles

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Hi,

I have an E500 Avantgarde and not a squeak to be heard.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would spray the roll bar bushes with silicon and the links,its good for the rubber anyway.

Welcome to the forum

OP
F

Flyer_400

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

I think we all realise that an E320CDi should not make unexplained mechanical noises but it is my belief that MB have had this issue with a few cars but not all and are trying to convince me a) that it is normal and b) that I am alone in experiencing the problem.

I will try spraying the bushes with silicone but to be absolutely honest the sound, which is difficult to describe, is not reminiscent of noisy bushes. I might add that I am a very experienced amateur mechanic but more from the days before the sophisticated and complicated machinery we all now know and love! My point being that I can recognise when something is not quite as it should be.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
My E270 also has the extra sports suspension and is quiet too. Not that this helps.
As for what to do, I'm at a loss - you've done all the right things already. The only thing I can think of is to fork out for an independant engineers report.

scotty9274

Reaction score
i am glad someone else has this problem i have a 2008 E 220cdi & it has been converted to a 6 door limo & have been getting these knocking noice from the front of the car for the last year & it sounds very like you going over uneven ground or speed ramps, it has been in the MB garage 5 times & all they came up with was the bottom air filter box was loose & hitting the ecu box i think, it is due to go back in again in the new year, but i was talking to a commercial MB mech & he told me the the new sprinter has problems with anti roll bar bushes, he was not sure if the set up is the same, so i am going to tell the garage this & see how i get on

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum scotty :D:D

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I have had 2 customers who had similar problems with their E211s both turned out to be the passenger side top wishbone ball joint ..the noise couldnt be replicated when the car was lifted off the ground.. 'Tho I have to say these were older 05 and 06 cars with 30 and 50 K miles on the clock..

scotty9274

Reaction score
thanks for that its something else to add to the list & happy new year to everyone

scotty9274

Reaction score
well thankfully peeps the knocking noise has go, it turn out to be the front suspension was gone, just got 2 new front shocks done under warrenty & the noise is gone, the only question i have is why did the mb garage not find this? i have been told that mb has a price for thing under warrenty & they will not pay a penny more, but who carthe noise is gone:D

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi
Ah! I just started a similar thread! I will print this one off and show it to MB Redhill.

biournie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 1998. Past Cars W210 320CDI 280 230 And 2 sprinters 310's, & a 1988 307D Van Still going.
Hi i own a W210 320CDI Estate 2001/2002 . The ride on the car seems to be very hard over normal bumps in the road and noisy from the rear too. The self levelling units were replaced by the previous owner so i hope it is not that? what could be making the noise?

eddied

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E 270 CDI Elegance SW, FIAT 500 S.
Suspension noise

By coincidence I was about to open a thread with a similar question. I recently acquired my first MB, 2004 E270 CDI Elegance SW. 129 K Kms. I have noticed what I considered hard/noisy suspension on uneven road surface, and was about ask you experts if this is normal, or do I have a problem? I didn't really anticipate a visit to mechanic until next service due in 10000 Kms. Any comments appreciated.
cheers,
eddied:)

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi
By coincidence I was about to open a thread with a similar question. I recently acquired my first MB, 2004 E270 CDI Elegance SW. 129 K Kms. I have noticed what I considered hard/noisy suspension on uneven road surface, and was about ask you experts if this is normal, or do I have a problem? I didn't really anticipate a visit to mechanic until next service due in 10000 Kms. Any comments appreciated.
cheers,
eddied:)

Actually I have now had this problem resolved, it may not be the resolution for you but my problem was a strut brace on the drivers side that had worn and produced a knock noise each time I drove over an uneven surface.

I was going to suggest you take your car to MBS in Southampton but see your in Italy! :D

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=61678

omasood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'08 E280CDI Sport Estate, '05 Prius T4
A similar challenge for MW World

Thanks for all the great information.

I have read the thread with interest. I have an '08 E280CDI sport estate with the same infernal clunking and creaking but from the front left side. I also get a bit of "weaving" when driving as if the car has been caught in a sudden very strong side wind. It has been back to MB world twice so far. First time it was a "no fault detected". Second time I took one of their engineers out on a drive and he heard it just going over the paved crossing within the dealership forecourt. They replaced the anti roll bar and while this has reduced the "weaving", it has not eliminated it or the clunking. It is due to go back again for some more work.

I was initially told that as this is a "Sport" model with wider tires, I could expect a nervous drive? Does ot sound right to me. Anyone else experiences the "weaving" where the car wants to pull randomly to the left or the right?

Alas, I too live in Surrey where the roads can be mistaken for a practice bombing range so the noise has got to go!!

deanman86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e220 cdi avantgarde auto '03
I have had 2 customers who had similar problems with their E211s both turned out to be the passenger side top wishbone ball joint ..the noise couldnt be replicated when the car was lifted off the ground.. 'Tho I have to say these were older 05 and 06 cars with 30 and 50 K miles on the clock..

hi, i have got a 2003 e class (w211) i have been getting a knocking noise and steering pulling to the left for the past few weeks so 2 days ago i decided to take the front n/s wheel off and have a look to see if there was any play in the joints at all. i found that the upper suspension arm (wishbone) had about 1-2 mm play while pulling down on the upper arm. and as i can never leave things alone i decided to undo the nut holding it on to see how easy it would be to change myself. But once I had taken the nut off i decided that this was no job for me. Upon putting the but back on it never got harder to do up so i just carried on turning the socket. Then i thought i had slipped off the nut, but in fact i had sheered the bolt off. So i have been looking on websites for a price. Does anyone know if i can get away with buying just the ball joint section or will i have to buy the whole arm?

many thanks for reading this. sorry if i waffled on a bit

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom