W212 changing front grill

E220vic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/2.1
Hi I’ve been doing a bit of research but unable to find what I’m looking for.Im looking to changing out my front grill on my 2014 W212 E220 from the standard original to diamond grkill similar to what’s on the cla.Ive researched YouTube and have seen a few grill changes on different models like the w204 and it looks straight forward enough.I attempted to change it myself on Sunday but was unable to.My question is in order to do this does the front bumper need to be removed to remove the grill and refit the new one or is it easier than that?my mechanic thinks the front bumper needs to come off.Has anyone here done this on that model?would appreciate any input or help.Many thanks

OP
E

E220vic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/2.1
DCFE1E92-3FA1-4204-95E0-0E6B6054D877.jpeg

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
The dealer had to remove and refit my grill to rectify a whistling sound which could be heard in the car at higher speeds. They told me that they had removed the front bumper to do this.

(If you fit a different grill, make sure it is properly sealed around the edges to the bumper as the whistling sound is quite annoying)

Do post pictures with the new grill and let us know where you bought it from and the cost.

OP
E

E220vic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/2.1
The dealer had to remove and refit my grill to rectify a whistling sound which could be heard in the car at higher speeds. They told me that they had removed the front bumper to do this.

(If you fit a different grill, make sure it is properly sealed around the edges to the bumper as the whistling sound is quite annoying)

Do post pictures with the new grill and let us know where you bought it from and the cost.

Yea my mechanic is pretty reliable and I was quite surprised when he said the bumper would have to be removed to fit it but it is what it is.Its booked in for Monday and reckons it will take 2 hours max to have it done and fitted properly.Thanks for the heads up on the grill fitment that would be a real pain the ass.
What did he have to do to seal it correctly ?
I will surely post photos of it up when it is fitted and it’s cleaned up

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
Apparently the official Mercedes technical fix is to stick thin foam type strip just in from the back edge of the grill so that it forms a seal against the bumper.

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
If you watch the YouTube videos, I don't reckon the bumper needs to come off.
Bonnet open, unscrew the plastic cover panel over the top, grille is held by 2 bolts at top, once out, it just unclips from bumper.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Apparently the official Mercedes technical fix is to stick thin foam type strip just in from the back edge of the grill so that it forms a seal against the bumper.
It will be a double sided from 3M VHB tape, or some of the equivalents available now

OP
E

E220vic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/2.1
If you watch the YouTube videos, I don't reckon the bumper needs to come off.
Bonnet open, unscrew the plastic cover panel over the top, grille is held by 2 bolts at top, once out, it just unclips from bumper.
I have had a look at a few YouTube videos of all different models but nothin for my exact model (w212 2014).By any chance do you have a link that so can look at?

OP
E

E220vic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/2.1
So to update on the grill,not good news at all.I left it up to the garage this mornin to have it fitted.My mechanic called me back and said there’s an oil Leak in it and needs to investigate further.He says on start up there’s a rattle for about 3 seconds then goes out of it and he thinks it could be the chain.My car is still under warranty but I’m fearing this leak is somethin bigger but won’t know until tomorrow until he tests it.ive had the car back 4 times since purchasing it on Feb 1st and only out 1200kms on it.Head is busted with this hoping it’s nothing too serious

OP
E

E220vic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/2.1
So the garage took my car in and promised to fix the issues.The oil leak is coming from the oil filter housing and the chain is giving some noise on start up that has to be addressed too.I just find it’s a bit strange that this is happening on a 2014 car and so far since Feb 1 I’ve had a coolant leak (repaired) an engine light alert which turned out to be a faulty fuel filter(repaired) and now these 2 problems.On the plus side the grill looks fab fitted but unfortunately the car is not in my possession for some pics.Im currently sporting a gold Nissan quashquai for a week until all issues are repaired.Will you keep you posted hopegully this is the end of it now please god

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Chain rattle for 3 secs is nothing to worry about, all chain engines do that. The rattle stops when the oil pressure builds up.
A leak from the filter is just one of the rubber o rings failed, which questions if it was fitted properly when last changed.
Sure they're not trying to create work?

OP
E

E220vic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/2.1
It’s sll under warranty friend so I can’t see how they are going to benefit.My friends garage (who fitted my grill) did a check and they are the ones who found all these issues,he also plugged the car in to the computer and it threw up a few sensor faults.Gave me the car back with the print out and sent me back to the dealers for them to look after it and they are now taking care of it.It hasn’t cost me a thing (yet).Everytime I’m back my warranty keeps extending so I’d say we are lookin forward to seein the back of each other !

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom