W212 E350 AMG. Hard suspension?

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
So another possibility for a new car has popped up. It looks beautiful in my view, black is always a winning colour for me, and it looks to be in great condition. It's an E350, exactly what I want. The only thing is, it is an AMG

What exactly should I expect from this car due to the AMG tag, that I wouldn't if it was a normal E350 avatgarde, and most importantly, will it come with hard suspension so that I feel all the bumps on the road?

I'd be grateful if anyone can give me a little AMG education.

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
I do know that there is a real AMG car that is a different beast, and there is an AMG trim level. I'm pretty sure the car I'm looking at is just a trim level AMG, but I'd still like to know what to expect in terms of differences from an avantgarde.
I'd add a picture but I can't because I'm on the iPhone.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
What year is the car you are looking at ?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The AMG trim can be quite hard, my E300 Hybrid was in AMG trim.
check your tyre pressures, MB tend to have them at max pressures to. Give the best MPG. I dropped mine down 3-4 psi for a better ride.
Big wheels also dont help and if you've got the Pirelli factory tyres those are also hard!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I do know that there is a real AMG car that is a different beast, and there is an AMG trim level. I'm pretty sure the car I'm looking at is just a trim level AMG, but I'd still like to know what to expect in terms of differences from an avantgarde.
I'd add a picture but I can't because I'm on the iPhone.

It will be an AMG trim level. Proper full fat AMGs use a 2 digit number in the model name (C63, SL55, A45 etc).

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I have a 2016 E350 Night Edition which is trimmed AMG, previous to this I had a 2014 E300 Hybrid in SE trim.

I did have concerns initially that the suspension set up would be much firmer but worry not, I in fact found that the E350 in my opinion rode better than the SE.

The suspension is firmer but feels far less jittery and much more stable.

The only thing is that the diamond cut alloys on mine look awesome but are very easily damaged as they have little or no sidewall protection.

I did slightly damage one of mine but not too badly and they cannot be repaired easily.

All in all though a beautiful drive and nice looking car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
AMG trim pack has stiffer suspension. It's fine on modern English roads.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If the car is just what you are looking for, and I for one think the AMG line cars look much better, then go for it. If you find the 18in wheels the car comes with provide too hard a ride you can always change to 17in wheels there are plenty for sale on eBay.

I do find that tyre choice makes a difference, Michelin are a firmer tyre than Continental on my 212 AMG and the contis provide a much better driving experience, only subtleties but it makes a difference to the feel of the car

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
If the car is just what you are looking for, and I for one think the AMG line cars look much better, then go for it. If you find the 18in wheels the car comes with provide too hard a ride you can always change to 17in wheels there are plenty for sale on eBay.

I do find that tyre choice makes a difference, Michelin are a firmer tyre than Continental on my 212 AMG and the contis provide a much better driving experience, only subtleties but it makes a difference to the feel of the car

We find the new Contis on our Avantgarde quite noisy. Wish we had looked at Michelin...

I wouldn't want anything firmer than the Avantgarde, personally. Modern English roads are appalling - we did over 3000 miles in Europe this year and the roads in France, Germany and Austria were unbelievably smooth in comparison. Italy was marginal!

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
The majority of roads around here are in a dreadful state. I don't know what the dvla do with all that "road fund licence" coz they def don't spend it on the friggin roads.

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde

Thanks. Yes it is what I'm looking for in every other way. I've never driven an AMG, so I have no idea how it'll feel. I'd hate to be able to feel every little bump on the road. I like to feel isolated from the harshness of many roads. Mostly in Japan the roads are pretty good, so there's that. But I really do like the silence in the cabin and harsh road insulation that you generally expect from a Mercedes.

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
Well, another one bites the dust. I had a friend of a friend at the auction to get eyes on the car for me. The drivers side undercarriage (whatever you call it) was all scratched up, the drivers side seat was all scratched to hell too. Also I was advised that the engine was a bit damaged, although I haven't got specifics on what was meant by that yet, but I don't need to know, the car had basically been given a hard time and I'm not paying for that kind of car.
I'm quite disappointed, I was feeling good about this one. I'm surprised this car was for sale at the auction, it's an auction for car dealers, and I'm not sure what car dealer would bother with a car like that.

Oh well, I appreciate all the help, & I learned a bit about AMG. Thanks everyone.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
That's exactly the car condition some dealers like
Discounted because of condition, they attend to it (varying quality) and then sell as A1 at an A1 price

I have friends who do the same but to keep the car

Top Bottom