W212 Sport Suspension Bouncy

H

HRPOWER

I have a 20,000 mile E 350 Sport 2010 Blue Efficiency on 18 inch AMG wheels from factory.

I recently have felt my suspension was softer and more bouncy. When I compared the car with a newer one there was a remarkable difference. The newer car seemed much more stable, stiffer and more sport like suspension. ( it was the same car only newer buy 12,000 miles )

The dealer I spoke to said that suspension will loosen on a 20,000 mile car and will feel different than a newer model.

Could you just check and let me know if a Mercedes Sport suspension is designed to or is likely to loosen as the car reaches this sort of mileage?

What I am finding is that I feel less inclined to drive sportingly as the handling seems to be slightly off.

The dealer said they test drove the car and that it felt perfectly normal to them, but I wanted to double check with you please as I have not heard of suspension being softer or looser over time.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Hello HR and welcome.

Querying the obvious - how are the tyre pressures?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A slight and subjective loosening might possibly be felt over such a low mileage, if it was very noticeable the car would become a bag of nails in a few years with that rate of "decline" maintained.
Maybe there has been a modification in the production ?
I presume you have the tyres to pressure as above or are they a different make ?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome
Have you changed the tyres lately this and tyre pressures can alter the feel of a car.
There is little to wear on modern suspension in 20K miles and the description you give hints at shock absorber wear which is very unusual at that mileage.

Re testing, give each wing a manual bounce test to see whether the suspension has softened. If this yields nothing keep complaining to the dealer there should be no concernable difference in handling characteristics after 20K miles.

OP
H

HRPOWER

WOW thank you so much - Yes I checked the pressures.

I felt that it was odd the dealer said it drives like any other E class when I was sitting in something that was much stiffer. He did say they are always tinkering. The trouble is I don't enjoy driving it so much, it feels slightly unpleasant, again one must consider the likelyhood of just being bored with the car.

I was so impressed with the soft /firm ride though.

The car is too heavy to move at the edges, what am I looking for if I am pushing the car down?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
With problems of this nature it's better to try like for like, ie if the car doesn't drive as it should compared to another similar example there is something wrong. if your current dealer isn't interested in your problem try another and hopefully they will show a bit more interest.

Car handling is a subjective issue but you are obviously disappointed, and wouldn't have bought the sport spec unless you were interested in taught handling, and this should be resolved.

OP
H

HRPOWER

Thanks Malcolm, I am running out of dealers :) they all seem to be ruder each one...

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm, I am running out of dealers :) they all seem to be ruder each one...

If thats the case, if you intend to pursue this to a resolution, maybe an independent inspection by the RAC might throw some light on what may be wrong, this would have to include a road test to be conclusive.

As you've had the car from new it's difficult to understand how you've arrived at this point without something being wrong with the car.

Good luck with this and i hope you soon resolve the issue.

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
They do loosen up. In some ways, a new car is over stiff, over time the springs, shocks, bushes and ball joints all ease off and I suspect you are seeing the cummalitive effect

If you can, try another car with same of more mileage. That is a better comparison then tryin a newer one?
Ps I have a 212 avantguarde and with 34k miles, it's just starting to be more comfortable. It was too firm when I got it with 12k miles IMHO

OP
H

HRPOWER

They do loosen up. In some ways, a new car is over stiff, over time the springs, shocks, bushes and ball joints all ease off and I suspect you are seeing the cummalitive effect

If you can, try another car with same of more mileage. That is a better comparison then tryin a newer one?
Ps I have a 212 avantguarde and with 34k miles, it's just starting to be more comfortable.

HM.. what can I do?

Run on 19s?

Talk to brabus or someone, lower it?

Stiffen it some how?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd ask to drive a similar car to yours. If it is bedding in then it should be similar. But yes, you could modify it. There should be lots of kits out there.

OP
H

HRPOWER

hey

My this is good forum.. lots of activity and help...

Asking to drive a like for like is like asking a dealer to do a sh*t on the floor. They seem not very eager to let you play....

I did speak to HQ who said they did not agree that the car should loosen to a noticable level and that something might need replacing.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom