w213: can someone please photo their rear arches

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
Can you please take a photo of your rear arches on a W213 and tell me is it normal to miss part of the lip on both rears ? or is it just on my car... I've highlighted the bit I mean in red below

I'm concerned that the big fat tires have damaged the lips pulling pieces of them off, but i need something to compare them too

thanks in advance if you can help !
cheers
niall

Attachments

• missing lip.png
    missing lip.png
    202.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I'll take one of mine in the morning if nobody has got back to you beforehand.

It's pitch black outside now and, if I were to go out to the car, I'd set all the outside security lighting off which is extremely bright and would totally brass my neighbours off...

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
thanks Daveenty, i've a feeling that mine is not normal and i just need to get to the bottom of it, and if necessary figure out how to repair it

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
also just noticed you have a 63s, wow, lucky man !!!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
671A36A1-BB2F-4D0C-9FFB-CB3EE5FDB5B9.jpeg Don’t know if it’s the same ( nor easy to see Niall) but my 212 has a strip which doesn’t continue around the wheel arch either - see attached

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Here you go, just taken this morning. It seems to be continuous on mine...

Rear Arch.jpg

My tyres will possibly be larger than yours as well but they're still not catching anywhere...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
They could have been rolled to give clearance as your tyres look much further out of the arches than Dave's

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
so i guess that means the tires put on by the previous owner have contacted this surface and pulled off some of the protective lip, that's a disaster and rust spot waiting to happen, oh no :( what to do....

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
Here you go, just taken this morning. It seems to be continuous on mine...

View attachment 45661

My tyres will possibly be larger than yours as well but they're still not catching anywhere...

hmm the dimensions on my rear wheels (and tires), please ignore the dimensions shown on my first photo, that's a temp tire, not the ones normally on it, are

275 30 r20 97W
245 35 r20 97w

and from what I can see that's less than what you have on your rears, yet your's don't seem to stick 'out' like mine, so what gives ? is it the design of the wheel ??

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
the question is do you think that the current wheels i've on are liable to damage it further or did it come from somewhere else ? they are expensive Rohanna wheels http://rohanawheels.com/rohana-wheel/rc10/ and I would have hoped that they seeing as they were on the car, that they were compatible, but now i'm not so sure...

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
and question #2, will the Mercedes 3 year car warranty cover repair to this ?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
fit them and see , if they have been rolled then I doubt any further damage will be caused , if its the tyre that's doing the damage then "yeah " more will occur , I cant see merc paying for a repair pal

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
the edge of an arch has a lip on it , usually around an inch wide , rolling simply mean that lip is decreased by either cutting it away ( rough as ) or by carefully reshaping it so the tyres no longer catch

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
If yours protrude further than mine do, and mine's on 295's, I'd suggest that the offset is incorrect on your wheels.

Whoever fitted the wheels would be my first port of call though, assuming it was the previous owner, I doubt you'll get very far. Next call would be looking for a standard set of rims before attempting any repairs.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
You need to take a wheel off and see what ET is stamped on the rear of a spoke, then see what the original ET size is.

Also see if you have spacers fitted, they will make wheel sit further out towards the arch.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
yeah you are all probably correct, mine do look great (imho) but protrude more than the car, that's what attracted me to the car in the first place, the big fat look of the wheels,

5494280685.jpg

stupid me, so i guess I'll need to sell these wheels, get replacement 20'inchers and fix the missing paint that was scraped off...

now if only I can find decent looking wheels that are fat in the rear, and work well with this car I'd be happy (oh and at a good price too of course)

Last edited:
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
ok will these work on my car ?

9,5j X20 ET 22
8,5j X20 ET 40

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom