W213 Timing chain

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
This must have had a rattle on start up a way before the chain snapped. I would likely say the chain tensioner was at fault and over tentioned the chain as opposed to an outright chain failure. I have seen this on the OM642 BE engine, the 651 and 654.
Steve, not so sure you can hear it from inside the cabin. I know of 2 that failed after camshaft set replacement. Perhaps the noise was masked by cam/follower noise. Here’s one that was noise at idle. Lucky fella. Edit can’t attach video clip. :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Steve, not so sure you can hear it from inside the cabin. I know of 2 that failed after camshaft set replacement. Perhaps the noise was masked by cam/follower noise. Here’s one that was noise at idle. Lucky fella. Edit can’t attach video clip. :(
If you stick it on youtube you can link it back here :)

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
OP here, just got my service history from a dealer. Other then the last service which was done last May. The oil used was 229.51. Only the last one has 229.52.

Was 229.51 approved for the W213 ?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Thats a seriously f,d up chain.beggars belief,or rather used to, that something better suited to a bicycle would be put in any engine ,esp stop start engines.
But then I sure not many break under makers warranty..I would ,predictably Perhaps ,? Call that more dtf.at very best over engineering is clearly NOT seen there...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update: timing chain snapped. Engine is fine. Going to cost £1,400
I’d double check that price, if snapped, you have to remove engine and gearbox, separate and strip back of engine down to fit chain and that’s without stripping the head. Good luck.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I’d double check that price, if snapped, you have to remove engine and gearbox, separate and strip back of engine down to fit chain and that’s without stripping the head. Good luck.
What a b nightmare. W168 took me a leisurely day. G wagon with 102981 half day if I remember correct.
Why have benz made a simple job so much hassle now? F.d question really.! First fit a shixx chain then make it a three day job to sort ..someone thought about that !!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thats a seriously f,d up chain.beggars belief,or rather used to, that something better suited to a bicycle would be put in any engine ,esp stop start engines.
But then I sure not many break under makers warranty..I would ,predictably Perhaps ,? Call that more dtf.at very best over engineering is clearly NOT seen there...
they are criminals but not stupid

they will have designed that chain to snap almost to the day they believe the majority of owners won't come after them....
start stop doing the job it was really fitted for !!!!

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
How much should it cost? I was initially quoted 895 before they took the head off. Then got a phone call next day saying its snapped and other bits need doing and got quoted that price

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Assuming the valves are bent id expect trebble that for a full repair , maybe cheaper to fit 2nd hand unit ?

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
That's criminal...belts need to be changed, we know, but some go to 120k before changing is due and some even run in oil to improve their life. It seems they have reduced the length (and therefore the amount of stretch) by putting in gears on the 654 and instead of learning lessons from previous experiences, they've taken the opportunity to fit a chain that is more suited to a bike!

Having said that, having had an E Class hire car with that engine it seemed an improvement over the 651.

Ernie

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Now that I think about it, I saw a 654 at my 'local' recently, all crated up for return.

Ernie

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How much should it cost? I was initially quoted 895 before they took the head off. Then got a phone call next day saying its snapped and other bits need doing and got quoted that price
I think a genuine chain is close to £200.

Iamhmad

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class E220d 9g Premium Plus 2016 W213
I have the same problem. August 2020 the rocker arms failed. Mercedes Stratford replaced the rockers, the cams and lifters. Unsurprisingly that's when more problems started. On startup there was a rattling noise for 3 to 5 seconds. After a few days of driving the engine cut out and a low oil pressure warning came up. I recovered my car to mercedes Loughton and after investigation they said the timing chain has snapped. I've now been in an ongoing battle with them for the last 3 months to get them to replace my engine under warranty. I'll keep you updated on the outcome.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are no longer designed to be quality,in my view anyway .I dont know that other makers are better, they are designed to be as cheap as possible( never a longevity spec ) whilst also ensuring that the majority pass warranty. Modern benz engines are no better engineered than a ford. Maybe less so?
Its all about the cockpit and toys now,many will never lift the bonnet, and many more will have no idea or interest in whats going on under it anyway...and where as many would have had the interest to tinker themselves .the fact is they are deliberately engineered to make this much harder and much more expensive.its sad ,but thats how I see modern benz, prob others as well tho I have been on benz since 03 so cant say
It will soon be a throw away item (engine that is ) how that will be green or efficient I dont know...really makes me wonder ,is green just a logo ? Perpetuated by consumerism ...like batteries ?

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the same problem. August 2020 the rocker arms failed. Mercedes Stratford replaced the rockers, the cams and lifters. Unsurprisingly that's when more problems started. On startup there was a rattling noise for 3 to 5 seconds. After a few days of driving the engine cut out and a low oil pressure warning came up. I recovered my car to mercedes Loughton and after investigation they said the timing chain has snapped. I've now been in an ongoing battle with them for the last 3 months to get them to replace my engine under warranty. I'll keep you updated on the outcome.
Yes the ones I’ve seen have failed soon after cam set change. I couldn’t tell you if cam wear has accelerated the chain wear but unfortunately there’s nothing the dealer could have done to damage the chain as it’s not touched when changing the cams. The chain noise might have been there for a while, just hidden by the cam noise. Good luck.

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
How much did the rockers, cams and lifter cost you?

Top Bottom