W213 Timing chain

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
2016 e220d - car died on me whilst on motorway. Red sign saying engine oil pressure stop immediately.

After star diagnosis - camshaft sensor bank 1 has short. Changed the sensor.

Car doesn't start but it tries to tick over same sound when you have a dead battery.

Star shows timing is not synchronised - I have not seen anyone on this forum with this fault yet I did not expect the timing to go on this car

Just looking to get advice
Oil gets serviced regularly but I had this issue where my car does a regen quite often atleast once a week.

Engine still seems fine as I heard not noises and sounds like there is compression when trying to start the car.

What are your opinions?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Id say its guna need stripping down , at least to see if the chains/ tensioners are still tight , it may have jumped a tooth or two

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If your chain has jumped you would have heard this.
Who is doing your diags?
Have you full MBSH at that age of car.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
2016 e220d - car died on me whilst on motorway. Red sign saying engine oil pressure stop immediately.
What is the mileage?
During the time you had it, did you get a rattle first thing in the morning start, for a few seconds.
What is the engine code?

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
What is the mileage?
During the time you had it, did you get a rattle first thing in the morning start, for a few seconds.
What is the engine code?
92k mileage, I never really noticed anything loud even on cold mornings. Just diesel engine sound

Although now thinking about it I had this one small squeaky sound like it was on a something round. Hard to explain in words but like e-e-e-e. This sound happened at different times

Last edited:

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
92k mileage,Although now thinking about it I had this one small squeaky sound like it was on a something round. Hard to explain in words but like e-e-e-e. This sound happened at different times
Thank you.
Have you had it from new? What is the engine code?
The squeaky sound was probably the alternator belt.

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Thank you.
Have you had it from new? What is the engine code?
The squeaky sound was probably the alternator belt.
Engine number according to my logbook starts with 654
I bought it second hand and only had ad blue tank failure which happened just after warranty ended. The only issue I was having since was the weekly regens and I seemed to have to top up oil ever few months

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Enjoy this lovely video of the engine on your car.

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Id say its guna need stripping down , at least to see if the chains/ tensioners are still tight , it may have jumped a tooth or two
If it has jumped does that mean new timing new chain kit ?

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
If your chain has jumped you would have heard this.
Who is doing your diags?
Have you full MBSH at that age of car.
Local independent, who showed me his computer, ran tests and everything was green apart from the timing which showed not synchronised

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I seemed to have to top up oil ever few months

Oil dilution or indication of a bigger issue here.

Unless you do 10k miles a month?

If the engine is unsynchronised then you need to take the cam cover off, rotate the bottom to TDC and see where the marks are on the top, if not lined up then the head needs to come off. It is likely to have damage to the valves and/or pistons. There have been a few reports of chain tensioner failures which can cause the chain to jump and this damage to occur.

I would hazard a guess that your first fault (camshaft sensor bank 1 has short.) was a red herring and was actually referring to crankshaft synchronisation being out. Are you sure this was on Xentry and not another code reader?

Either way, head has to come off, especially if the engine won't rotate.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hopefully you find the fault, I’ll be watching the outcome of this. If it’s got a FMBSH, then they might help you out.

Every time I log in to this forum is see another 213 fault -_- Starting to think the extended warranty is a good deal!

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
How much is the extended warranty per year??

Depends on your car age and mileage. For example, for mine with 50k miles and 4 years old, £700 a year. That is genuine Mercedes warranty and can be purchased online. I think two years gives you a very slight discount however, I wouldn’t bother in case you sell the car. Too much cash sat in a warranty.

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d

If the engine is unsynchronised then you need to take the cam cover off, rotate the bottom to TDC and see where the marks are on the top, if not lined up then the head needs to come off. It is likely to have damage to the valves and/or pistons. There have been a few reports of chain tensioner failures which can cause the chain to jump and this damage to occur.

I would hazard a guess that your first fault (camshaft sensor bank 1 has short.) was a red herring and was actually referring to crankshaft synchronisation being out. Are you sure this was on Xentry and not another code reader?

I did about 3-4k a month, and this was done on xentry.

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Hopefully you find the fault, I’ll be watching the outcome of this. If it’s got a FMBSH, then they might help you out.

Every time I log in to this forum is see another 213 fault -_- Starting to think the extended warranty is a good deal!
Unfortunately I used local indy

OP
S

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d

Also what problems are we looking at with oil fuel dilution ?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Has it had any work on cam followers/cam.? Seen this before that it’s not been timed up correctly. The chain doesn’t directly drive the cams, it drives an idler gear.

Top Bottom