W215 CL600 ABC to Coilovers?

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
Hey Guys,

I was reading lots of topics regarding conversion to coilovers etc. Currently our CL is being fully repainted as we wanted to make the car to look as new. After that I want to refresh the wheels and also Brembo calipers which will be send to UK BCS Automotive for a full check and rebuild. There are other small bits that I will ahve to do like buying a new engine cover etc. The biggest thing that I am thinking of is to either fix and rebuild most of the ABC suspension which will take a bigger amount of time like rebuilding valve blocks as one is letting the pressure a bit. Also I will have to replace hoses and if I will be doing this I said it that at this age of the car we have to replace all of them. All the hoses will be around 1500EUR plus I will have to get a new/rebuild ABC tandem pump which is another 500EUR for a rebuilded one. I guess the whole job will take over 2000EUR to fix it and make sure all the things will be as they should be.

I have started doing the research and seems like lots of people are happy of coilovers from YellowSpeed and there are few successfull conversions on a UK forum and lots of them in US forum. What would be your opinion on it? If I will decide to keep the ABC probably I will have to postpone the job on it till new year etc. Most of the job will be done by myself so I will not have to pay the mechanics to do it etc. However the cost and potentional future problems with shocks are putting me over to invest such a big money to this suspension.

Pullman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1981 500SL_1999 500SL_(2002 CL600 sold) 2003 500SL
Hey Guys,

I was reading lots of topics regarding conversion to coilovers etc. Currently our CL is being fully repainted as we wanted to make the car to look as new. After that I want to refresh the wheels and also Brembo calipers which will be send to UK BCS Automotive for a full check and rebuild. There are other small bits that I will ahve to do like buying a new engine cover etc. The biggest thing that I am thinking of is to either fix and rebuild most of the ABC suspension which will take a bigger amount of time like rebuilding valve blocks as one is letting the pressure a bit. Also I will have to replace hoses and if I will be doing this I said it that at this age of the car we have to replace all of them. All the hoses will be around 1500EUR plus I will have to get a new/rebuild ABC tandem pump which is another 500EUR for a rebuilded one. I guess the whole job will take over 2000EUR to fix it and make sure all the things will be as they should be.

I have started doing the research and seems like lots of people are happy of coilovers from YellowSpeed and there are few successfull conversions on a UK forum and lots of them in US forum. What would be your opinion on it? If I will decide to keep the ABC probably I will have to postpone the job on it till new year etc. Most of the job will be done by myself so I will not have to pay the mechanics to do it etc. However the cost and potentional future problems with shocks are putting me over to invest such a big money to this suspension.
I love the ride of the ABC system and from the feedback I have read the coil overs do not give the same comfort although I have not experienced the ride..For example there is no compensation when cornering. I have had most of my system apart and have found that removal of valve blocks and thorough wash out with white spirit cures the leakback. Flush or drain the system and wash out the reservoir. Fit new filters in ABC and p/steering. Regularly raise and lower the ride height.. Don't be offended but I think you are going in too deep when all that is required is a bit of labour and cleaning fluid ..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The more you change the more problems you have the potential to introduce.
Fix what's broken, give it a good flush and go enjoy it.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Agreed. Especially when new struts are now £300 from AliExpress.

Why replace all hoses? There is only one flexi line @ £300, the remainder are steel so if they are not corroded then leave them be.

Replace the pump, then replace fluid and filters every 2 years or 20,000 miles and keep it pristine.

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The lines are corroded. When we got a car they were already corroded and we decided to finally do something about it specially we want to make this car to look as new. So I am in a dark room now trying to figure out what would be the best. I can a pump for about 500EUR but then I would do al the lines and also replace seals in the valve blocks. I just want to make sure I will not have any problems with leaks etc, and also I would use ACF50 to secure the hydraulic lines. They are only corroded near the wheels.

I know you can get cheap shocks from Aliexpress but the question is for how long they will last?

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok I have calculated everything and it looks like ABC will stay as it is :-D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The lines are corroded. When we got a car they were already corroded and we decided to finally do something about it specially we want to make this car to look as new. So I am in a dark room now trying to figure out what would be the best. I can a pump for about 500EUR but then I would do al the lines and also replace seals in the valve blocks. I just want to make sure I will not have any problems with leaks etc, and also I would use ACF50 to secure the hydraulic lines. They are only corroded near the wheels.

I know you can get cheap shocks from Aliexpress but the question is for how long they will last?
Both myself and the ex MB Master Mechanic couldn’t tell the difference between the OEM strut and the AliExpress part. Even the font in the castings is the same.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
As the only problem you have is one or more struts dropping, just strip and clean the lock solenoid seats in each valve block- half a days DIY labour if things arent corroded. After that flush/change the fluid and fit a new filter. If the corroded pipes arent leaking then just waxoyl them. If you're still concerned about reliability make sure your recovery will take you home or to a garage of your choice.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hey Guys,

if yr going to keep ABC look at the addition of a filter on the pressure side, there is info on this out there, the biggest failing of this system in my view, is filtering the system AFTER the rubbish,if any,has passed thru the system ,nuts ! from a longivity point of view . i looked at coil overs for my sl600, nothing available ,as no room for roll bars around engine. i only changed one hose on my ABC , but i did have dramas due to rodents eating wires on back valve block, cant blame benz for that..... but it did take some time to find the issue. i now have a coil spring car and sure notice the difference. the only thing is coil overs would likely be an end of that expence and will give peace of mind,or would for me. and that on an older car may well be a good thing

Last edited:
OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if yr going to keep ABC look at the addition of a filter on the pressure side, there is info on this out there, the biggest failing of this system in my view, is filtering the system AFTER the rubbish,if any,has passed thru the system ,nuts ! from a longivity point of view . i looked at coil overs for my sl600, nothing available ,as no room for roll bars around engine. i only changed one hose on my ABC , but i did have dramas due to rodents eating wires on back valve block, cant blame benz for that..... but it did take some time to find the issue. i now have a coil spring car and sure notice the difference. the only thing is coil overs would likely be an end of that expence and will give peace of mind,or would for me. and that on an older car may well be a good thing

This is the dilema that I have. I would like to keep the system but I afraid of fitting some cheaper parts from Aliexpress, I might be wrong here. Lots of people are saying that it handles good on coilovers.

Last edited:

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Wouldnt you want the filter to be after the source of the rubbish to collect it? Where the stock filter is ensures clean fluid is always entering the system, including the pump. Filter after the pump and the pump looses protection??

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
you could have both, but i have seen a magnetic one on the pressure side and i believe its overall better to stop the shxxe going thru the system in the first place rather than try to collect it after. thru valve blocks ,stutts ect does seems far from ideal to me, cheaper to produce filter on rtn and good enough to last the warranty is ,i believe the design.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the dilema that I have. I would like to keep the system but I afraid of fitting some cheaper parts from Aliexpress, I might be wrong here. Lots of people are saying that it handles good on coilovers.

do some research and try to drive both ,there WILL be a significant difference!! roll in corners and dive under braking but coilovers is how most cars are and we have been happy enough with the simplicity of that for a long time . and when well set up i think is more than good enough.

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
do some research and try to drive both ,there WILL be a significant difference!! roll in corners and dive under braking but coilovers is how most cars are and we have been happy enough with the simplicity of that for a long time . and when well set up i think is more than good enough.

Exactly this is the point. Car is getting older and older and it will require more and more money to be invested into the ABC suspension and the expense will be there constantly.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
exactly. do you use the car daily ? for work.? if so price the coil over, if just nice weekends and for fun just ensure you have a decent b/d recovery policy and ALWAYS park ABC cars wheels straight ahead, screws up yr wheel arches if/when the strutt drops the front... r230 anyway ? i recently sold my sl600 and i find i miss it, but i dont miss the nagging doubt as to if the car is sat on its arse 1000 miles from home when i come out of the hotel in the morning . as craig says, various parts are now avail much cheaper than previously. whilst we hope for the best the longevity of these parts is a little unknown at the moment. i am not sure that benz produce a road car with ABC anymore ?? if not that would be telling us something ,right ? simply put a grand system,when working,an expensive ballache when its not. but then benz coils are well known for breaking as well... diff is you can see exactly whats wrong sans laptop and the fix is fairly uncomplicated . however in my case i have swapped ABC, microswitches , pse, roof motors, dramas for looming dpf nox erg issues cant win....... keeps the mind busy tho.

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It will not be used every day - we say 2-3 times a week for pleasure. I will have to consider all the advantages and disadvantages. We will see.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think you’d regret coil overs in the long term - basically every time you drive it

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Go for a drive in a car with coilover conversion on some rough roads and fast tight corners.......... I'm just saying ;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Go for a drive in a car with coilover conversion on some rough roads and fast tight corners.......... I'm just saying ;)
Easiest way of doing that is get a SLK350 on 18” “AMG” wheels and have a decent test drive. I doubt you’ll like it for long

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Decission was taken and we will keep ABC - I am slowly getting the lsit of parts required and even if I will have to spend 1500-2000EUR I will do this to keep as nice as possible. Coilover conversion will cost nearly the same.

I did not want to create a new topic so I will ask here. I want to change all the plastic vacuum hoses. It looks like they are very tiny and my question is. Can I use 4mm or 3mm silicon hoses - that was recommended on the forum in US. This engine outputs so much heat so I was thinking that they would be the best bet.

For example.
https://www.advancedfluidsolutions....ilicone-vacuum-hose-pipe-vac-tubing-199-p.asp

Also I will have to get a t-connectors and l-shape connectors is well.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom