W215 strut grub screws

Chris Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (02)
Hi I am trying to get my lower control arms changed. One side is done but the allen key grub screws on the other side just will not undo. Two garages have tried - six tools broken - so I have to assume they are not going to come out. Has anyone drilled them out? Is there enough meat to re-tap? The garages wont try as they don't want a car stuck on the hoist.

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
As it happens, I was talking to an indy about this very thing just last week.

The MB dealer told me previously that the OSF lower ball joint needed replacing so I took it to the indy for a second opinion. He said it would get through an MOT so that was good enough for me! But while the car was on the ramp he showed me that pin you're referring to and said that they could be a pain to get out and drilling it was sometimes necessary. He didn't say what subsequent action was required. However he did say that drilling can be a problem in terms of getting access for the drill.

Not much help I'm afraid but at least you now know that drilling out is a possibility.

OP
C

Chris Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (02)
Yes they have tried as much heat as they can, given its the leg and the hydraulics within it that you are cooking. I took the grub screw out of the good side to have a look, its 10mm dia but the thread pitch is 1.0 as against the 1.75, which is easily available. I'll try more penetrating oil on it for a few days. It really doesnt look that hard, I just wonder if anyone has done it and can advise further...

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If heat fails then you have to drill it out, screws available from mercs.

OP
C

Chris Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (02)
Strut grubscrews

Thanks for that info re the screws being available. I am very surprised at that!
Chris

Top Bottom