w216 cl 600

Fast_28

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55, C200k
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a 2008 w216 CL 600, and was wondering whether you knew any information of any reliabilty issue that have been asscoiated with these cars. I have heard of a number of horror stories about the previous model CL's (starter motor coils, ECU, cylinders on one side not firing), but none about these W216 versions!

Thanks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
They are very very good cars, nothing much to report as common issues yet I dont think. I only have 2 of these on my books currently and all I have done on them is servicing and brakes! I dont recall seeing many at the dealer when I was there for issues, a couple of gear selector faults and rattles mainly!!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a 2008 w216 CL 600, and was wondering whether you knew any information of any reliability issue that have been associated with these cars. I have heard of a number of horror stories about the previous model CL's (starter motor coils, ECU, cylinders on one side not firing), but none about these W216 versions!

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

The problems you described were usually attributable to the distributor caps on that series of engine - one per cylinder bank (common to the earlier 129s as well), but rectified by the introduction of coil packs in or around 1995 - so a 2008 car will be well clear of such difficulties. It will also be galvanized, so the potential for rear wheel arches to rust in future will be reduced.

Other than that, all the usual checks on provenance, service history (corroborates mileage) and general condition. These are expensive cars so one so young as you have in mind should be mint and will not have been neglected. It should however have depreciated significantly from new - which is bad for the vendor, but good for you!

We look forward to hearing how you get on.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
These are superb cars. One can readily go into warp drive with all too much ease. Even my 1995 S600 coupe still draws a crowd at any meet. As others have said check provenance and enjoy.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No reports yet on these as they are too new, so no news is good news and welcome to the forum

OP
F

Fast_28

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55, C200k
I heard that the coil packs on these cars go quite easily from another of the threads of this forum is this true or is was that just an isolated fault??

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom