W216 CL500 2007 - looking to buy.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
I am loving that (I assume designo) light chocolate leather interior. I am assuming the previous owner was very careful, because that interior looks like half the age of its 70k miles. Amazing.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
It's normally the pulsation damper on top of the pump that gives up. I think people change the whole pump because they don't know, but the damper is only about £200 to replace.

Trust me, I've had to replace mine on all 3 CLs I've owned.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 w216
Great looking buy! First thing to do when you get it is to check and clear the drains in the bulkhead area. There are 3 in wiper scuttle, 1 in each of the plastic vent grilles and 1 next to each of the bonnet hinges. The worst culprit is the one by the passenger side hinge which has a 45 degree bend in it and blocks easily, causing water ingress into the floorpan.

Thanks. I’ll check that first thing.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Eddie,

Can you be so kind as to let me know what the colour code and name is for that leather please.

I would like to make a note of it because I love it so much I want something like that in the next Merc!

If you are not sure, you can put your VIN number (including the 3 prefix letter) into www.lastvin.com and it will give you the full data card for your car. Might be interesting for you to see the full rundown of options if you don't have it.

Quality!
abb50c336eba4a40b0a621c725db0492.jpg

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 w216
Picked it up today - and was brilliant. Really love it. The engine is genius and the interior amazing (and cleaned the left hing gutter, which was blocked - thank you).

Now, I am wondering about alloys (as I don't love the current ones). Are the wheels on the attached car 20" from CL63? Is Ebay the best place to look for them?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...e-to=10000&postcode=cb12ng&radius=1500&page=1

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
There are plenty on eBay but beware quality. Some are awful to balance and first pothole they will crumple.....

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
2nd hand MB rims fetch more than gold at the moment, my old 216 was an AMG spec car so came with 20" star style rims , same as the ones in the link , if you can get a nice set at good money , why not , its a big machine and needs large rims to balance out the stance of the car

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 w216
Eddie,

Can you be so kind as to let me know what the colour code and name is for that leather please.

I would like to make a note of it because I love it so much I want something like that in the next Merc!

If you are not sure, you can put your VIN number (including the 3 prefix letter) into www.lastvin.com and it will give you the full data card for your car. Might be interesting for you to see the full rundown of options if you don't have it.

Quality!
View attachment 64747

Sorry to take so long to reply. The interior is: LEATHER - RED (207A) though, as the pictures say, it's more tan than red. Glad you like it - it was that and the matt wood finish that did it for me.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
If you're after wheels I've found Alloy Wheels Direct to be good, in that they're reasonably priced but also supply genuine MB wheels.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
24BB1A05-617F-4D7D-8EBC-14799B749CAA.jpeg 612048D3-0A07-4C8C-B95B-903A2AEAC5FF.jpeg 0CCE4A19-D9C3-4EDB-8107-C77BE40B77D1.jpeg
Eddie,

Quality!
View attachment 64747
That's not a million miles away from my Saddle Brown :D
Yours added for comparison. Mine has darkened a tad since that photo.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 w216
Great looking buy! First thing to do when you get it is to check and clear the drains in the bulkhead area. There are 3 in wiper scuttle, 1 in each of the plastic vent grilles and 1 next to each of the bonnet hinges. The worst culprit is the one by the passenger side hinge which has a 45 degree bend in it and blocks easily, causing water ingress into the floorpan.
Thank you for this tip. I

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 w216
Just to add, peterws, I checked hinge on passenger side again, and totally blocked. Rather freaked out as nothing I did (wire stuck down and twisted for an hour in the dark) would unblock it and rain forecast. So went to B & Q and found this drain worm and it works brilliantly - a very satisfying rush of water and gunk came swooshing out. Thought I’d share it.

Thank Once again for the tip.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Just to add, peterws, I checked hinge on passenger side again, and totally blocked. Rather freaked out as nothing I did (wire stuck down and twisted for an hour in the dark) would unblock it and rain forecast. So went to B & Q and found this drain worm and it works brilliantly - a very satisfying rush of water and gunk came swooshing out. Thought I’d share it.

Thank Once again for the tip.
Good piece of kit that- thanks for sharing. You have to be a bit careful with what you poke down the drains, the tubing is not particularly robust. Once the weather is better or if you have a garage, you might want to take the battery and tray out and have a look at the horrors underneath. There is a horizontal but sloping section of the bulkhead under the tray which gets covered in garbage if the drain has been blocked for a while. I found mine covered in slime, and soggy leaves covering a shed load of wiring which MB in their wisdom decided to route over this section. There is a large drain hole in this panel, but not at the lowest point! Worth a quick look.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom