w216 CL63 AMG Command...am I doing something wrong?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
there were some with a multi changer, and some with single disc,

Your picture is of a NTG 3.0 single disc comand unit - it shouldn't do phone BT, you must have a gadget in the centre armrest - the lower slot is for a super ancient pcmcia adaptor for music playback via a memory card and adapter. Under Nav options in a well hidden view setting - if you can find a menu called Bird's Eye View (3d mapping) then it had at least one of the major comand system updates - either way I expect your clock and date must be muddled, see info in post 36 above

NTG 3.5 has a sd card slot and the lower left side the access to the flaky hard drive
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
C

Cipollini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w216 CL63 AMG 2008 w211 E270 CDI 2003
Thanks, you are right, the gadget is in the armrest and the unit uses some adaptor to accept SD card. Time is muddled as well and I can´t set the analog clock.
I´ll check the Bird´s Eye View setting tomorrow.

I don´t care that my unit doesn´t have CD changer, and uses SD card adaptor, but the question is, do I have to buy another Comand unit or it will be possible to recode and work with this unit?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thanks, you are right, the gadget is in the armrest and the unit uses some adaptor to accept SD card. Time is muddled as well and I can´t set the analog clock.
I´ll check the Bird´s Eye View setting tomorrow.

I don´t care that my unit doesn´t have CD changer, and uses SD card adaptor, but the question is, do I have to buy another Comand unit or it will be possible to recode and work with this unit?

the menus for the seat should be programmed in its software, but as is (non standard), your car's current comand system isn't enabled to allow you view / use them... its 15 minute job to tick a box so they show up again

it doesn't need software rewritten to do that, just some one with the right dealer tools to get at it the right way..... but a dealer should / would want to do it this way so the car and merc germany are happy nothing odd is going on … on some badly made later cars some do link the radio software to critical systems (GM managed it - you can Bluetooth hack the car and apply the brakes - only took then 5 years to bother with a fix coz they got caught !!!) but not really set up like that on a Merc, but don't expect any merc dealer to know how they actually function

if you can find the Bird's eye setting go to post 36 and make a cd and pop it in and see if the date goes right - if it loads and takes the update, it just works properly again. Only Steve seems to be the only guy on the planet with a car that won't take the update (as long as it had a major telematics system updates that makes it compatible it just works)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Just got car back from Mercedes, to cure a passenger windows synch issue. They said they updated the Window and Door controllers.
This all now works! Great.

Strangely I found all seat and steering wheel and mirror saved settings had been lost. No issue just stored new ones.
But the Dash Clock and Navi system are now in synch! Nice They were out of synch by one hour in BST.

Beyond me what was really done.
Did they initially screw up a Command setting when they replaced the window and have now updated it?

Why would a window controller update effect the mirrors, steering wheel and seats ? Other than they have switches in the door.
Or did he Update the door controllers and Command at the same time.

I am resigned to the fact that this Command SW and updates are way over my head..... f*ck it, drive it and enjoy it

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just got car back from Mercedes, to cure a passenger windows synch issue. They said they updated the Window and Door controllers.
This all now works! Great.

Strangely I found all seat and steering wheel and mirror saved settings had been lost. No issue just stored new ones.
But the Dash Clock and Navi system are now in synch! Nice They were out of synch by one hour in BST.

Did they initially screw up a Command setting when they replaced the window and have now updated it?

Why would a window controller update effect the mirrors, steering wheel and seats ? Other than they have switches in the door.
Or did he Update the door controllers and Command at the same time.

I am resigned to the fact that this Command SW and updates are way over my head..... f*ck it, drive it and enjoy it
As likely as not they will have had the batteries disco so all memories lost. A proper power down reset.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The update is for the door control module, it’s the same for the 221, after it loads the software, it performs a full factory reset to said control module! Hence it’s been wiped!!

OP
C

Cipollini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the menus for the seat should be programmed in its software, but as is (non standard), your car's current comand system isn't enabled to allow you view / use them... its 15 minute job to tick a box so they show up again

it doesn't need software rewritten to do that, just some one with the right dealer tools to get at it the right way..... but a dealer should / would want to do it this way so the car and merc germany are happy nothing odd is going on … on some badly made later cars some do link the radio software to critical systems (GM managed it - you can Bluetooth hack the car and apply the brakes - only took then 5 years to bother with a fix coz they got caught !!!) but not really set up like that on a Merc, but don't expect any merc dealer to know how they actually function

if you can find the Bird's eye setting go to post 36 and make a cd and pop it in and see if the date goes right - if it loads and takes the update, it just works properly again. Only Steve seems to be the only guy on the planet with a car that won't take the update (as long as it had a major telematics system updates that makes it compatible it just works)
That´s some good news, I hope I won´t have to buy another unit.
I really can´t wait to let the system check and update because yesterday my dumbass Command turned off my EPS, Blind Spot Assist and ILS during ride, or at least showed me these messages.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
that won't be the comand unit, quite likey its the ABS sensors - they fail at 10 years any mileage

don't expect Toyota reliability levels, expect even the very best examples to be much more troublesome than an unmaintained 40 year old skoda that's been abused, left outside and then vandalised

you need an unrusty w216 with a new set of brake callipers and a replacement injection system, if you want to go more and 1 km without an issue

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

we have spoken about this many times and I have posted the exact instructions to resolve this at home in 30 minutes start to finish (and I even replied to your post a few days ago, including a link to make the CD)

the car software was / is wrong. The world made a step change in 6th April 2019 and the comand needed updating to cope with it...
you need to make a CD and put it in the DVD drive under the clock, 10 minutes later the data and the clock will read correctly for ANOTHER 17 years (its a 19 year cycle but 2 years have already been and gone)

Last edited:
OP
C

Cipollini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
that won't be the comand unit, quite likey its the ABS sensors

Do you think the ABS sensors could turn off EPS, ILS, Blind Spot Assist, Parking Assist at the same time?

Btw. during yesterday ride everything was working again from the start.

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
yes,

you may start to notice intermittent ABS sensor issues hearing a warning gong you never had before as you pull away (inside from the dash) and the park brake might be off when you knew you set it and or doesn't release automatically as you pull away. Every owner will have to replace the sensors (in pairs) if they keep the car long enough

Top Bottom