W220 320 CDI - Slightly delayed/jerky gear change... sometimes :/

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Hello,

Okay I browsed around a bit on this forum for the word "jerky" but none of the post seem to cover the issue I am having so here goes...

Since about 2 weeks I am noticing that the car needs just that half second more to change gears. Not always though... sometimes. Also, my TC vibration has come back - not as bad as before the TC recon, but noticeably more present.

The ATF was changed 25K miles ago (with said TC recon, so fully, not just the usual 60%).

One issue that may have something to do with it... in June this month due to a misadventure with a pile of dirt I managed to gently damage my Intercooler. When I say gently I really mean just that - it's in a veeery slight banana-shape where the center might be 5-6mm higher than the sides. The car has worked fine after the incident and generally I dont think it is leaking, although my mechanic did tell me it is probably a good idea to get a new one in a few months time, as these things supposedly are very delicate.

Now - could it be that a change in turbo pressure is causing a mis-match with engine/gearbox and that this slight delay is because if the turbo not running at correct specification? Coz as I said - it's noticeable but slight, worse when cold although can also happen when warm. It's as if the car needs half a second more to shift gear, engage it, and keep going.

Finally - is it possible that this kind of problem is caused by a "sluggish" Torque Converter...? What does the TC do when you change gears... I imagine it momentarily dis-engages/opens yes? RPM does not go up noticeably during gear changes tho... admittedly I haven't really paid attention to this but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary there. Am planning an ATF change soon when I will be adding my Tranny Fixx miracle cure ;) but if the TC is causing this I may wanna claim warranty on the guys that did the recon first...

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Some hard questions here. the 722.6 box does not have many faults of this nature, could the fluid be contaminated so soon ?? The boxes never lock up completely and only when changes are taking place. The turbo should not affect light gear changes.

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Well... I have heard before that when there is something wrong/misconfigured with the power output of the engine (like, say, a split turbo hose) that this can affect the way the gearbox responds. It "expects" certain parameters to be at a given value, and when they are not, it gets "confused" for lack of a better word.

But yeah I think in my case the Intercooler really is fine... well - it certainly appears that way... no oil spray anywhere, all connections seem tight and solid...

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Almost all the clunky/ jerky transmission issues we see are with diesel mb's.
The petrol engine cars for example suffer much much less with the 7g complaints of many customers.
If something is wrong with the torque output of the engine, the transmission will play silly buggers.
It would also explain you tc lock up clutch circuit getting confused

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Thanks for that... but could this be caused by a leak somewhere in the Turbo/Intercooler subsystem?

Top Bottom