W220 - ESP off but secretly on....?

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Noticed something odd a couple of times. I'll switch off ESP (triangle illuminates), then decide to deliberately use too much throttle to slide for the fun of it and... the triangle will flash anyway, as it is in fact working after all...?

When I stop being an idiot and drive without any slippage it just stays on (so ESP off) and all seems as expected.

So does the W220 have some Overlord ESP that shall operate whether you like it or not... or what? Or is the flashing in that case a warning to let me know I am in fact an idiot for switching it off in the detected circumstances and it urges me to re-engage it..? I can't tell for sure if it is actually working.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

So does the W220 have some Overlord ESP that shall operate whether you like it or not... or what?

Top Gear implies that all Tri-Star'd cars are the same ....... ie The Fatherland knows better :rolleyes:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
you need to put it into full dyno mode to turn it off completly just turning off by the esp button will allow a bit of slip but not too much to get you into trouble, just enough so you know you have been a plank and were about to loose it :lol: ;)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
you need to put it into full dyno mode to turn it off completly

how do you do that?

a BM gets full on, part off, properly off.
a merc seems to get full on, partly off.

If I use it like this, instead of a little bit of fun I get this hideous shuddering, a feeling like the rear axel is about to fall off and it makes it look like I should be locked up, attracting all the wrong sort of attention, instead off appreciative looks from people who can drive...

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Dyno mode is in the hidden menu when you put the key in before starting it, have a look on google s it's ever so slightly different for different models.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom