1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W220 - replacing speakers (by Bose ones?)

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Irresistance, Sep 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Irresistance

Irresistance Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1988 W126 420SE, 2006 W209 200K & 1999 S210 320CDI
    Hello again

Ok so today I tried to play some classical/opera music in the car and discovered that the speakers struggle/pop/screech when it comes to high tones. Clearly, not worthy of an S-class auto mobile.

I read in other posts (Thanks Television!) that it is an exercise in dumbness to try and retrofit Bose into the car, so I won't try that... but - does it make sense to fit Bose-speakers instead? Will they work without the Bose amp present? What is the sound like - is it worth while?

I found here on the PL eBay-equivalent a Bose subwoofer for just shy of 40 quid, and speakers for around 20 each. Look reasonably well... so would it make sense to upgrade? Would I need to reprogram anything... do weird stuff?

And also - Do they have to be Bose... as in - can't I just go to any car-audio shop and just get what ever upper-mid-range stuff they might have and fit that instead...? Or do the speakers come with nice little custom incompatible plugs that make it impossible to fit anything non-originally-MB?

Many thanks :) W

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. redbaron1973

redbaron1973 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL320 R129
    Going off my R129 merc std fit speakers tend to be wired at 1ohm not 4 ohm like other speakers. My CL seems to have less than perfect speakers and im debating whether i can be bothered stripping the doors and re wiring... or just replacing stock speakers with new stock speakers that are not 8yrs old.

Are the Bose speakers the same impedance?

3. OP
    Irresistance

Your Mercedes:
    Ah yes... the impedance... there's always something innit. Just had a look at the door panels and also not looking forward to getting that stripped... especially not by some "Normally I pimp Golfs"-car audio workshop... shudder to think how they would handle a W220... especially given my near-OCD-like obsession with squeaks and alignment of everything ;)

The obvious nuclear option is to just drive in headphones+ipod but I normally don't do that... safety and all...

4. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Bose speakers take some driving, if the amp cannot supply the power then no point, they are all about the 1 ohm impedance, but the thin wires used highers this all a bit.

if you fit 4 ohm then the output will be reduces, a small amp is the best way to go if you are going to change what you have, but again care is needed just because a speaker may look good it can sound horrible

5. OP
    Irresistance

Your Mercedes:
    So are you saying that if I fit the Bose speakers, the standard AMP that is in the W220 now will have trouble with using them?

Or perhaps I will ask differently - if you had a standard W220 sound system and you would want to make it sound better, what would you do? :)

6. television

Your Mercedes:
    I only ever buy cars with Bose or HK fitted as it is a long job trying to upgrade.

There is just so much to it all, the rated output from the amp before the 3% distortion sets in, the position of the speakers, the mounting of the speakers.

What ever you do you still might not get the optimum sound, I know that in a 230 with Bose, that you have to sit with the seat a forward as possible, or you are out of range from a lot of the music content.

Bass notes are dispersed around the car, the higher the frequency the straighter the line of sound, so tweeters at head level are needed, a mid range mounted as high as possible. Now all this can destroy many panels in the car though add on tweeters can be stuck on with sticky pads or put in the mirror triangles.

The mounting for the main speakers has to be good, if you cannot stop the chassis from moving on bottom end notes then its all sound lost.

The speakers do need some form of enclosure to direct the sound as forward as possible, the speaker cone has to get back to where it came from, and this is sounds that you do not want to hear, and 215 doors are quite good in this respect.

The mounting size for the speaker is odd, you may have to make up a baffle board to mount the speakers on then to the door.

If you are going to change the speakers, then fit a small amp of about 40w or a bit more, RMS not music power that is a meaningless figure.

At the same time an amp with a sub output would help a lot, this can be mounted anywhere in the car or rear shelf.

If you think that you can do this, then have a go, it is a lengthy subject and hear we are talking sound quality rather than sound output.

By using a sub woofer you can get better quality main speakers, for a speaker that has to handle base cannot handle the mid range sounds very well as the suspension will be too stiff.

7. OP
    Irresistance

Your Mercedes:
    One more thing... This seems to be an astonishingly elusive question - Where is the AMP actually located?? The standard Becker one. I searched in English, Polish AND German and FAILED to get an answer :/

8. OP
    Irresistance

Your Mercedes:
    Ok a search in DUTCH finally did it... it is under the CD-Changer & Nav DVD. Bit tough to get to, but at least I now know where it is :)

9. initialbdriftracer

initialbdriftracer Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    W220 s500. Year 2000 airmatic
    try JBLcomponents in the doors.

and a 12 inch sub in the boot.

alpine and kenwood aren't bad, but JBL can take a lot of abuse.

you will probably need new amps though.

10. television

Your Mercedes:
    There are some low impedance JBL's around, a member bought 2 last week cheap that could fit in the door aperture.