W220 Trunk Springs

Shahwant

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320
Hello,

I have a 2000 S320 (W220), and I’m having a really hard time un-hooking the springs from the trunk that help swing the trunk open. On the left side, the spring is set to maximum tension, while on the right side it is not. I would like to increase the tension on the right side as the trunk only opens about half way, and it even struggles to do that.

It used to barely open, but I’ve sprayed some WD-40 and now it’s gotten much better.

I still think that if I increase the tension on the right side spring, the trunk will swing open all the way.

My only issue is that I am finding it extremely difficult to pull the springs to in-hook them, to increase the tension. I read on another forum that if I remove the two little plastic mouldings that keep the trunk perpendicular, that would help. I tried that and it didn’t give me enough extra space to unhook the springs.

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks! I’ve attached a photo as reference to what the hinge on my S-Class looks like (pre-facelift model).

Attachments

• 4D684FF5-9773-467D-AD8B-7BF5D6BDD05F.jpeg
    4D684FF5-9773-467D-AD8B-7BF5D6BDD05F.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 32

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
You will do it better if you get in the boot .When the boot lid is closed it will have less pressure on the spring, so at this point it will be easy to pull it with string on to the next setting they should be both in the same holes or locations for both sides Dont let the other half close the boot while your in there , because she might not open it again .lol

OP
S

Shahwant

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320
DREAMER NO2:

The spring has less tension when the boot is all the way open rather than when the boot is closed, so that wouldn’t work unfortunately. There would also be no way to access the springs while the boot is closed, because they are not inside the boot, rather by the water drainage on the sides (left and right), which isn’t part of the boot.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
So you say its something you cant do .Well the spring is in there and must be in a place to be removed if it gets broken or weak .You need to remove the side wall material to get to the spring .You say you can see the spring but unable to tension it up ,dont see why .You seem to know more about it than i do so do what you have to do.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
So you say its something you cant do .Well the spring is in there and must be in a place to be removed if it gets broken or weak .You need to remove the side wall material to get to the spring .You say you can see the spring but unable to tension it up ,dont see why .You seem to know more about it than i do so do what you have to do.
The spring in the W220 is well exposed...but difficult to remove. I suspect a specific MB tool is required.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The 220 is totally different.

Ask me how I know.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
did a google serch for this and most are the same idea .But looking i can see they run along the top of the rain channel. And again are a coil springs .So a coil spring compressor is the way to go. Special tool may be . Some had a hydralic ram, run by a pump the pump lets fluid out due to a fluid leak , . thus no lift on one side.

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Some are just springs, some are springs with gas strut inside the spring and some have a ram for opening and closing automatically.

The OP has just the springs and these need to be opened as opposed to being compressed.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
But i see now that the trunk is opened in one of two ways or both . So if anyone knows for sure just how poster is to go about replaceing them , can you please shout up now.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Looks like a Mercedes workshop tool is needed....I think a trip to your indy is looming sorry!

Attachments

• Hang trunk lid spring around hinge lever.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 30

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I think the same could be achieved with a piece of metal bent at each end to catch the spring when the boot is slightly open and then allow it to go loose on the holders when fully open...or something like that.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Personally I’d just take it to an Indy who will likely have this tool and get them to do it. Lot of faffing

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom