W221 S-class wheels ... Fat or Phatt?

Which wheels should I keep?

• Total voters

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
Folks - it's decision time. I bought my W221 wearing 20" AMG alloys, but felt the ride could be improved. I since found a set of (Geniune Mercedes) 18" alloys from eBay, which do improve the ride, the trouble is they don't look quite as visually arresting as the 20s. Now... I didn't think this would matter to me, my car is for my pleasure and comfort and not for everyone else's fleeting appreciation as I pass by..... however I am finding myself looking back at the car when I park and thinking "hmmmm", looks a bit "old man". I'm nearly 40!

So, surprised that I'm bothered by it, I've put the 20s back on to test the difference in ride quality - and it is pronounced - low speed ride is lumpier and lots more noise on the motorway (exactly the same width, 255 front, 275 rear, but less sidewall to absorb the vibrations, hence more noise transmitted up). Also there are no "grand touring" type tyres for the 20" wheel, only "ultra high performance"... compared to squishy Michelin Primacy HP on the 18s.

But it looks good. Damn. The bigger wheels seem to tighten up the lines of the bodywork, like a tailored suit vs a loose one.

Over to you folks to help me decide. 18s with "FAT" tyres or 20s with "PHATT" wheels that make me look like some sort of wannabe drug dealer?

Attachments

• 18s.JPG
    18s.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 20s.JPG
    20s.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 287

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just the same as me with my 216, came with 20" AMG but I use 18" as the ride is so much better, I was thinking that if I go back to the 20" then over sized tyres might be the answer. I did that with the 19" on my SL500 and the ride was good, the accuracy of the speedo changes and reads spot on at 30mph.

Maybe a better design 18" or 19" would help.

AGordCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SLK200 (hers)
I like both, but the AMG wheels win it for me, as you say they suit the car much better.

At the end of the day I think it depends on your priorities, ride comfort? Or that last look over the shoulder...

Suprapaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 cdi, SL 350
When I purchased my CLS it had factory 18'' Amg alloys. I couldnt help but think that they looked undersized for the proportions of the car, so bought some brand new 20'' staggered wheels and tyres.
The difference in ride quality around town is noticeable, but on a long journey, on decent roads, it isn't.
My vote is for the 20'' for looks, the 18's look lost;)

Attachments

• mgm.jpg
    mgm.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 118

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
I agree with Suprapaul. To the point I am removing my current wheels on my CLS and replacing with 20's, and it came with 19's!
Guess it all comes down to preferences and priorities on an individual basis, in the same way I will no doubt get condemned for replacing OE wheels with aftermarket ones!

OP
jeremy156

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
It's a shame that the designs of modern cars seem to scream out for bigger wheels to look right. Older models looked good on small wheels, but let's be honest there's no way I'd even consider such skinny rubber if it wasn't for the looks.

So, worse ride, less grip on bumpy bends (more likely to skip rather than flex), slower acceleration and braking (really noticed that for braking putting the 20s back on), worse MPG, more noise and they make the brakes look under-sized.... but despite all that we still entertain the idea! Daft lot aren't we :)

Suprapaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 cdi, SL 350
It's a shame that the designs of modern cars seem to scream out for bigger wheels to look right. Older models looked good on small wheels, but let's be honest there's no way I'd even consider such skinny rubber if it wasn't for the looks.

So, worse ride, less grip on bumpy bends (more likely to skip rather than flex), slower acceleration and braking (really noticed that for braking putting the 20s back on), worse MPG, more noise and they make the brakes look under-sized.... but despite all that we still entertain the idea! Daft lot aren't we :)

Yes, some might say vain :Oops:

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I stuck with 18" 5-spoke:

10125-l.jpg

Maybe not the flashest rims around, but Boy ! are they easy to clean. :D

Unfortunately, you don't have them on the poll. ;)

Last edited:
OP
jeremy156

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
Ah, I knew I should have included a "c: Other..." option!

They're a nice design - they have the same "open" look as the AMG 20s - a criticism from my neighbour on the 18s is "too much metal", I guess they are a bit "busy" looking around the middle. Perhaps your 5-spoke 18s would be worth hunting down... You've got them on a W221 S-class? Would you be kind enough to send a photo please?

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
As Tode, I have the 18" rims.
They are a good compromise between looks, comfort and reasonably priced rubber.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
;)
Ah, I knew I should have included a "c: Other..." option!

They're a nice design - they have the same "open" look as the AMG 20s - a criticism from my neighbour on the 18s is "too much metal", I guess they are a bit "busy" looking around the middle. Perhaps your 5-spoke 18s would be worth hunting down... You've got them on a W221 S-class? Would you be kind enough to send a photo please?

Yes, on my 2011 S350.

This be they (at Alloywheels) : 18" 5 Spoke LINK

No. MB = B6647 45 31

If you're interested, I bought a set 1/2 price from Mercedes via their "Used" service: MBGTC. I could not find a mark on them. :)

Last edited:
OP
jeremy156

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
I've not come across MBGTC before - interesting site, although my German isn't up to much, but I'll use patience (and Google Translate) to look around it. I also need a replacement headread for the driver's seat and was thinking of trying breakers yards, so this would be a good alternative.

Thank you!

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
S class for comfort hence I voted 18s....admittedly look nowhere near as good. But you did say you want comfort!

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I've not come across MBGTC before - interesting site, although my German isn't up to much, but I'll use patience (and Google Translate) to look around it. I also need a replacement headread for the driver's seat and was thinking of trying breakers yards, so this would be a good alternative.

Thank you!

It all works by Mercedes reference - you put it in the 'search' box (top right) and if it comes up - they've got it ;)

Google translate can be a little stilted, but it is very helpful.

(If you mail them a question, they'll reply in English. )

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
20's definitely look better BUT why not compromise and find some 19's? that way they will look in proportion to the size of the car BUT will also give a bit extra sidewall, to allow a more compliant ride, and possibly even step down a size on the width and up a size on the profile (eg swap from, say, 255/35x20 to 245/40x20) that way, dropping down a size on the width, and dropping from 20's to 19's would effectively give you an extra 10% of sidewall relative to the width, taking the tyre size used above from 255/35x20 down to 245/45X19

Last edited:
OP
jeremy156

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
Decision made following a couple of long trips this week - putting the 18s back on at the weekend and looking forward to the softer ride.

I have to say the 20s are "fine" in terms of ride, still a nicer ride than most cars I get to drive .... but the 18s make it "lovely".

So... anyone fancy a nice clean set of 20s before I put them on eBay?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I vote for the 18s thats if they are the ones in the first pic.. the other wheels look like some young guy whose head is just visible above the window line and whose trousers sit well below his underpants should be driving it.
I personally don't like wide gapped spoked wheels on a car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Decision made following a couple of long trips this week - putting the 18s back on at the weekend and looking forward to the softer ride.

I have to say the 20s are "fine" in terms of ride, still a nicer ride than most cars I get to drive .... but the 18s make it "lovely".

So... anyone fancy a nice clean set of 20s before I put them on eBay?

I got the same answers as you in the main and yes the 18" are silky smooth, and no tram lining.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom