W221 weird squeak/ noise from rear suspension...

alex_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221/2011/s350
hi again ;)

after few weeks of happy driving without hassle my car want to remind me that my life don't will be so nice and easy...

so after my last few repairs i have new challenge

rear passenger side start develop weird squeak it sound a bit like rubber so i was guessing bushes or sway bar, i removed wheel jack car up and check control arms - no play everything is really solid
i sprayed all bushes with grease and is a bit quieter but is still here
i suspect water goes somewhere or is just very early stage of one of control arms coz everything is solid and is no play or knocks when i drive car

squeak noise is most noticeable when car is drive in town slowly also is more noisy when someone seats at back seats, sometimes after sometimes it stops then comeback next day or after few hours,
when i drive on speedbumps is quiet but make squeak on normal road also i quieter when airmatic is on sport mode - i guess when is stiffy one of rubber parts play less so that reduce noise

anyone experience and solved something like this ? any weak point on rear suspension where i can start?

i had similar problem on front some time ago and one dodgy indy who ripp me off replace bottom front arms but there was some play but rear is solid but after beed over priced i decide to work on my car myself and recently i have few small success so decide to investigate this with your help

any ideas before i spend small fortune for set of control arms and sway bar?

PS still love my car but with every problem my love became weaker ;)

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
You could try spraying the rubber bushes with siicone spray .Or brush them with atf fluid to eliminate the noise Wet weather is the problem , and then after, they just dry out .But you might have a worn bush .You need to inspect them .

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Emilysdad yes i have had that one also , but it was on my old Rover 3500 v8. And not long after the shockabsorber thread broke from the top as it comes through the turret .

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Emilysdad yes i have had that one also , but it was on my old Rover 3500 v8. And not long after the shockabsorber thread broke from the top as it comes through the turret .

P5 & P6 Rovers were never renowned for their rust prevention ..... :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I seem to recall the lower arm outer bush can squeak quite badly but not sure if thats on this model.

OP
A

alex_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221/2011/s350
thanks for your answers

control arms and sway bar looks solid no play knocks etc

also squeak starts after "beast from the east" ;) so water snow with salt and other mess

i spray it with grease and is a bit better so i will buy silicone spray and give another try before i start replace control arms

is anyone know torque to tie up control arms bolts ? coz im consider to unbolt them to make proper clean on bushes

thanks

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
P5 & P6 Rovers were never renowned for their rust prevention ..... :D
Yes they were bad in the wing depot .But, an easy replacement with just three bolts.Did all the wings on my Rover v8 3500 with the 2000 body shape. The suspension is the best i have ever had .The engine is just a beauty to work on .

Linuus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 wagon
It’s can be the muffler, check if the rubber hangers are not to dry. I had something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
It will be a rubber part you can bet on that .So silicon spray is the thing for rubber items .If they make a noise or not ,it will preserve them for some time . I took my car to the garage and sprayed 3 tins on all the rubber bushes i could find, along with brake flexi hoses

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom