Want to buy a CLK pre-2002

Dan66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First was a Corolla '91, then a Mondeo '95, next is a CLK!
Hiya,

I very much interested in a CLK after flirting with the idea of a Mondeo ST220. Is their anything i need to look out for as i have a modest budget (less than £4500)?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Welcome Dan

The first thing to check for is rust, 2nd thing is service history, You dont say what engine! there's a lot of diff between the range!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Dan and welcome,, as SAM rust around the wheel arches is the thing to watch out for

OP
D

Dan66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First was a Corolla '91, then a Mondeo '95, next is a CLK!
Im not an experienced motorist having only passed my test in April '07, and im only on my second car, but i want something a bit special (i currently own a mk1 Mondeo with 2.5 V6 which is ok but fast!).

I have no idea about the type of engine or model to look for. I currently pay about £800 a year for my insurance (im 42 years old), and could go a bit higher if needs be. I live just 8 minutes by foot from my workplace, so i wouldnt be doing much mileage.

Is their a online guide to MB models/types?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I have no idea about the type of engine or model to look for. I currently pay about £800 a year for my insurance (im 42 years old), and could go a bit higher if needs be. I live just 8 minutes by foot from my workplace, so i wouldnt be doing much mileage.

Hi Dan,

You're in luck. There is tons of information out there. If you Google "W208" and use the Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W208 it gives detail on the CLK and further down, the timeline for each MB by years of manufacture.

Google "W202" and the Wikipedia link includes information on all the engines in the C Class W202 range - which is pretty much the same as the CLK options.

If you intend doing low mileage, you might want to consider a larger capacity engine? These cars have often been cherished and may have low mileage, fewer owners, good service history but are marked down because of engine size and people's perception of very high fuel consumption and maintenance costs. In fact, the differences in price are not great overall and larger capacity cars often have excellent specs with lots of additional standard fitments and "extras" which don't show up in the price but generally work reliably.

The car you seek will have been born before April 2001 so will not be subject to future hikes in VED (according to any current proposals).

It will be interesting to hear more about your search, choice and of course some pics of the lucky car when you choose it. Good hunting.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Im not an experienced motorist having only passed my test in April '07, and im only on my second car, but i want something a bit special (i currently own a mk1 Mondeo with 2.5 V6 which is ok but fast!).

Initially idea's is to avoid the 4 pot engines and go for a 320 V6 model. The insurance on the 430 V8 (the 55amg will be out of your budget) will be higher and the 320 truth be told more than fast enough, but no less economical than a 230k but with a more pleasing engine noise.

With 2 cars have you tried admiral multi car or any other insurer that offers a multi car policy. Your circumstances are somewhat difference re your age and driving experience so calling a broker like Adrian Flux may also be prudent and so what I like best (saving money)

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The insurance on the 430 V8 (the 55amg will be out of your budget) will be higher and the 320 truth be told more than fast enough, but no less economical than a 230k but with a more pleasing engine noise.(saving money)

Aye Frugal,

You're not wrong, but the rest of the world thinks that way too - so the 430 might be cheaper and the price difference might offset the insurance costs.

For a car which will not be used much routinely (Dan walks to work), but will be cherished and provide fun - I would have a good look round and then price up whatever appeals to you (on a spreadsheet once you have created the formulae, you can cost each car on a separate row and very soon get a true comparison). You might be pleasantly surprised and, if not in a hurry, patience may be your best ally.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
The 430 weighs more and won't handle as well though. Heavier too so wears the tires down more at the front and the extra torque will munch the rears faster too, + the addicton of the V8 noise will make the OP floor it meaning sub 20mpg motoring. Thrifty McFrugal has all bases covered...

Although I may well be wrong as if the OP does only 4-6k miles the 430 won't be more noticably more £££ than the V6.

DAVE HULL KR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
200 CDI 2006 55 plate saloon
Hiya,

I very much interested in a CLK after flirting with the idea of a Mondeo ST220. Is their anything i need to look out for as i have a modest budget (less than £4500)?

Dan, my last car was a st220,it was a 6 speed facelift version, fantastic car and performance, BUT i sold it because of the fuel prices etc., i bought a c,class w203 Diesel, no regrets what so ever, the merc is quieter on the motorway, apart from anything else the tax is going up to £400+ a year.

Top Bottom