Want to convert a180 to look like a45

Elliott Foad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class, a180. 1.5L, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have managed to purchase a Mercedes A class, a180, 1.5L, 2014 reg and I intend to modify the body work so it looks like an A45.

My main task at the moment is finding a replacement bumper. I love the look of the a45 bumper (pic attached of inspiration) but I’m not sure where to buy one from/if it will even fit my model? Please let me know if anyone knows where to purchase the one in the attached pic from :)

Secondly, my next big problem is that I have bought a rear diffuser and exhaust tips but it doesn’t seem to fit my car because the exhaust tips won’t marry up with the current exhaust! Any suggestions without modifying the actual exhaust? I think I might just have to give in and sell it and purchase a different one… (pic attached of the kit I bought)

Lastly, if anyone has any suggestions about engine/exhaust work I could do on my a180 to make it any better I would love to hear it. I want to make it pop!

Elliott

Attachments

• 6D3F0FF6-5276-40BC-A08C-8BC51F267F9A.png
    6D3F0FF6-5276-40BC-A08C-8BC51F267F9A.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 16
  • F80D1099-DB08-40C7-A7B1-C44A9AA0608C.jpeg
    F80D1099-DB08-40C7-A7B1-C44A9AA0608C.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 15

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Lastly, if anyone has any suggestions about engine/exhaust work I could do on my a180 to make it any better I would love to hear it. I want to make it pop!

Elliott
Hello and welcome,

If you replace the rear bumper, while you’re at it remember to seal around the vents to stop the water leaks into the rear foot wells.

I‘m not a fan of dressing something up to be something else however we’re all different. I’m sure eBay will have some varying quality aftermarket bits you can bolt on. If you add an AMG badge please post a picture in our thread ;)

Engine wise I’m sure there will be tuners who can give you those pops and bangs.

OP
E

Elliott Foad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome,

If you replace the rear bumper, while you’re at it remember to seal around the vents to stop the water leaks into the rear foot wells.

I‘m not a fan of dressing something up to be something else however we’re all different. I’m sure eBay will have some varying quality aftermarket bits you can bolt on. If you add an AMG badge please post a picture in our thread ;)

Engine wise I’m sure there will be tuners who can give you those pops and bangs.

Thank you for the advice! I am unsure whether it is an amg or not to be honest! When I bought it it had the amg logo on the back and I searched it up on ‘Parkers.co.uk’ and it came up as ‘a180 (1.5) cdi amg sport 5d auto 2014/64’. Any clue ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thank you for the advice! I am unsure whether it is an amg or not to be honest! When I bought it it had the amg logo on the back and I searched it up on ‘Parkers.co.uk’ and it came up as ‘a180 (1.5) cdi amg sport 5d auto 2014/64’. Any clue ?

It’s not an AMG… it’s only an AMG if they made the engine - they don’t make diesels… (they did once a C30 which was based on the 5 cylinder 270 engine)

“AMG line” is a trim level, same as M-Sport in BM’s and S-Line in Audis. All depressingly black and all uncomfortable, which is their idea of “sport”… :rolleyes:

OP
E

Elliott Foad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s not an AMG… it’s only an AMG if they made the engine - they don’t make diesels… (they did once a C30 which was based on the 5 cylinder 270 engine)

“AMG line” is a trim level, same as M-Sport in BM’s and S-Line in Audis. All depressingly black and all uncomfortable, which is their idea of “sport”… :rolleyes:

I see, so mine is simply ‘AMG line’… sadly! I am only 20 so there is still hope for a real one!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see, so mine is simply ‘AMG line’… sadly! I am only 20 so there is still hope for a real one!

I’d enjoy what you have :)

If you make it look like a higher performance version, then your insurance needs to know as it makes it more desirable to thieves….:(

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If you make it look like a higher performance version, then your insurance needs to know as it makes it more desirable to thieves….:(
^^ This.
Welcome to the forum Elliott.
As above, I had the same ambitions at 20 to make my bog standard car look more sporty. Back then (I'm an old grunter now;)) modifications to bodywork and spoilers weren't attracting the attention of insurers. Now you only need to put a few stickers on the car and have a bump for insurers to look for a get out clause to withhold payout.
Just be careful and declare everything you intend doing before doing it. You may find what you propose makes your insurance company decide not to want to cover you. It's less of a problem as you get older, but in all honesty, I'd enjoy what you have for now before it all adds up. De-badge it and get people wondering.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I bought a 3 year old BMW318 Coupe in the late 90's that had been made to look like a M3. He must have spent a fortune on it from BMW he bought it new, wheels, spoiler, mirrors, seats, steering wheel, skirts & even the gearstick. I only paid about an extra £1K for it, it certainly looked the part.
When I sold it for my first CLK, buyers were queuing up to buy it.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Elliott, why not just go a for lowering springs (H&R)
a nice set of alloys, (silver 5 spokes) and perhaps just an AMG tailgate spoiler would look great and not to complicated. :)

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Hi Guys,

I have managed to purchase a Mercedes A class, a180, 1.5L, 2014 reg and I intend to modify the body work so it looks like an A45.

My main task at the moment is finding a replacement bumper. I love the look of the a45 bumper (pic attached of inspiration) but I’m not sure where to buy one from/if it will even fit my model? Please let me know if anyone knows where to purchase the one in the attached pic from :)

Secondly, my next big problem is that I have bought a rear diffuser and exhaust tips but it doesn’t seem to fit my car because the exhaust tips won’t marry up with the current exhaust! Any suggestions without modifying the actual exhaust? I think I might just have to give in and sell it and purchase a different one… (pic attached of the kit I bought)

Elliott
Much more fun to get an A45 and make it look like an A180 :)

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
Hi Elliot
Well done for taking on this challenge but would it be cheaper to buy the car you want?

I accept there might be a step too far regarding costs but the task you are taking on might not be the straightforward job you think it might be.. You will then have to report this modification to your insurance company. I doubt it is something you can 'accidentally' overlook. Perish the thought that you might be unlucky enough to get involved in a car accident but if that were to happen, you might have insured it as a very specific model but when you want it repaired by the insurance company, you would, I am guessing want the car repaired and look the same as the vehicle you have modified... I have visions of the insurance company 'having words with you' Good luck however with whatever you do.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom