Warning lights on 2003 C200 Avantgarde

Paraalan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Komp Avantgarde SE A
Hi, I have just bought my first Merc. Near the speedo, a warning light has come on- looks like the outline on an engine and is illuminated in brown/orange but working my way through the menu its says no malfunctions. There is also a strong smell as if the engine is running too rich. Could this be the problem and is it serious? Any advise will be greatly received.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

What does the manual say about that warning light?

Please put a picture up of it.

OP
P

Paraalan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome

What does the manual say about that warning light?

Please put a picture up of it.
This is not in the manual,

Attachments

• warning.jpg
    warning.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 3

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Engine warning light, it will most definitely be in the manual. If it’s on when the engine is off then all well and good it’s showing that the warning light is working.

If it’s illuminated when the engine is running then it is indicating that one or more parameters in the engine isn’t working correctly.

Ideally you need to get the error codes read by a Mercedes specific code reader “star” is what it’s generally called.

OP
P

Paraalan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sadly, this site appears unable to discuss a common problem. And asking 'what does the manual say' made me laugh. If the answer was in the manual I would not be on here. What a total waste of time.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Sadly, this site appears unable to discuss a common problem. And asking 'what does the manual say' made me laugh. If the answer was in the manual I would not be on here. What a total waste of time.

if the engine management light is showing it could be anything .... you need to plug in a code reader. Anything else is a guess.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
i find it odd that an engine warning light explanation is not in the hand book, i suspect as its orange it will mean find issue and resolve, if it goes to red, means do not drive vehicle.
As stated, it could mean many, many things have malfunctioned, or need resetting. The normal thing to do is have codes read to see if active or stored.

This site is a mine of information, and given the CORRECT information members will be able to help, not waste your time !!!

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002

Not getting off to a good start are you lol.

Any 21st century car will require an OBD2 code reader to determine what the actual issue is.
You could help yourself a little by searching for what is a common issue ;)

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
How do you know its a common problem if you don't know what the problem is to begin with??? :eek::eek::eek:

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Shame that one persons comment which you did not like suddenly becomes all of us?
Since everything is typed and its so easy for things to be misinterpreted you need to have patience and understanding as the resources this site can offer is far greater than anywhere else you will encounter.
I think the dash menu for malfunctions is just for things like low washer water, low fuel etc. Not diagnostics.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic

I must say thats a somewhat rude response from the OP who joins the forum and expects a solution immediately to a problem that requires clear investigation.

SHAME ON YOU

Now take your car to garage and cough up. Ask them to plug it into STAR and cough up. Ask them to diagnose and fix the fault and cough up.

Drive away.

THATS YOUR ANSWER

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
5 minutes with Google would have told you.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom