Warning that indicator bulb out, but it isn't!

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Display suddenly showed something like "F R indicator bulb failed using alternative" and the indicator ticks fast. Puzzled as to what the alternative could be (!) I pulled over and had a look outside. Front right indicator appeared to be normal.

I carried on journey and noticed that the climate control display (shows fan speed/temp etc) was very dim and the little orange lights that show around the climate controls for both sides were not illuminated.

Figuring the two might be connected I am thinking a shared fuse or relay problem? However, a few miles further on I noticed that the climate control stuff was now all illuminated properly, and when I had parked up and switched off when I switched on again the indicator message has gone!

Any thoughts?

2001 CL500

OP
T

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Anyone?

I have not had the "false" indicator failure message again but the climate control display is sometimes illuminated, sometimes not.

May or may not be related (general electrical gremlins) but the passenger side mirror doesn't always return from the lowered position it goes to for reverse. (Can I disable that function anyway - it is very annoying!).

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Re. the mirror just select the right hand mirror that will turn off the mirror dipping .

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Do you also have COMAND? Does that go into night mode at the same time as the climate display?

On a few occasions my CLS thinks it's dark enough to switch the climate and COMAND to dimmed night mode, even though it's quite bright outside. Climate and COMAND are on a different light sensor from the headlamps.

Last edited:
OP
T

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Thanks whitenemesis, I will see next time the climate control dims if the COMAND screen does as well.

OP
T

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Yep, COMAND dims as well. I can find no pattern to this (I figured it may dim when the headlights are on but not so). Where is the daylight sensor located?

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
Yep, COMAND dims as well. I can find no pattern to this (I figured it may dim when the headlights are on but not so). Where is the daylight sensor located?

Its behind the rear view mirror.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The sensor behind the RVM controls the headlights.

There is a second sensor that controls the climate and COMAND illumination. TBH I don't know for sure where it's located. I think Richard (of Comand.co.uk) suggested it was embedded in the COMAND screen.

All I know for sure is on the CLS and the C class the climate and COMAND illumination did not follow the headlight lead 100% of the time.

In fact I had this just now when out for a blast. The climate was dimmed but the headlights were not on..

Last edited:
OP
T

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Thanks guys. I will put this one in the minor irritation category I think (rather than the sh#t this is going to cost me a fortune category!).

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom