Washer bottle concentrate - any recommendations

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
YEP
Jeyes is brilliant, use correct dilution or you will be smeeling it for ages.
But guarantee you wont get bird flu, swine flu or legionnaires either:lol:

I wish I'd known that 8 years ago when I was struck down by Legionella, it cost me 8 months off work.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Fairly sure someone has said vodka when the same thread appeared before (probably an annual thing)

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
I have experimented with various washer additives over the years, in my opinion none of them are fully capable of shifting the film which accumulates on the windscreen glass.

My current regime is:-
In the washer bottle, clean water and nothing, allowing the tank to become empty between each refill prevents slime.

To remove traffic film I use Bar keepers friend, it is very effective and does not cause scratching despite being a powder type product. Properly cleaning the glass at wash time is a big help in maintaining a clear view.

I carry a can of Sif bathroom mouse to shift any grease that the roads might throw up especially in winter, magic for a few miles but not totally effective in removing the grease, it is if over applied good at removing Autoglym from the bodywork.

I have over the last few years found this to be the most effective way of having a clear view.
Putting screen wash in the tank makes for a slight grease film and so I avoid it, the only thing I'm missing out on is the antifreeze properties of additives.
My main use of windscreen washers is to annoy the close following driver, I'm quite prepared to empty the tank on a stupid pushy fastard.

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
I think I would have tried to do so if it would have prevented me catching Legionaires disease:shock:

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
35k miles a year so never had an issue.....can't remember the last time I filled the Elise one up.....but it's got good strength in it....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom