Water Leaking In CLK Convertible

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
I recently had to remove all the carpeting etc. out of my wife's W208 CLK Convertible as there was a lake of water underneath the carpeting on the passenger side which also extended to the rear passenger footwell.

The water was clear and contained soap (probably from washing the car,) I cleared the drain channels etc. and tried a hose test over the car and particularly over the windscreen and surrounding areas, this had no effect and there wasn't any water in the footwell.

After drying everything out and re-fitting the carpets and trim, I re-checked it today and there was water in the passenger footwell again! :confused:

The car was parked overnight within the car porch, and although it was raining and very stormy it wasn't directly exposed to the elements. Today, the weather was dry and the car wasn't exposed to any water whatsoever, so, the conclusion is that the water somehow got into the car last night??

It's not coolant as I checked this, neither is it from the windscreen washers as I checked this also:confused:

Anyone have any experience of this? or any idea where it could be coming from?

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
Sounds to me like its coming from the bulkhead there are a few wire gromits there on the passenger side, there maybe some control units too. so its possible the water is coming through there.

OP
busby20

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds to me like its coming from the bulkhead there are a few wire gromits there on the passenger side, there maybe some control units too. so its possible the water is coming through there.

Thanks for that, I think you may be right, I had suspected this but haven't had time to check it further - maybe do it this weekend:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Shall I send you all of the roof leak faults,, thats rear bow and side window rubbers

OP
busby20

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shall I send you all of the roof leak faults,, thats rear bow and side window rubbers

Thanks Malcolm, that would be useful as I really need to find this leak. I don't want to have to remove the seats, trim, et al life's to short as it is:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm, that would be useful as I really need to find this leak. I don't want to have to remove the seats, trim, et al life's to short as it is:D

PM me your email address

biffo911

New Registration
Reaction score
CLK water leak

Hi Busby,
I'm new to this forum but may be able to help.I have a w208 CLK which was plagued with the same water leak you described.Water was getting trapped between the door seal and inner sill lip and when it built up would overflow into the car over the lip causing a flood in the passenger footwell.This was cured by cutting a 3mm gap in the centre of the bottom door seal to allow the water out.This has cured the problem and the car is now bone dry with no misting up.
One thing you should check though is condensation in the computer box under the bonnet.When the heater was used,the damp in the carpet went up under the dash and condensed on the inside of the lid of the ecu box and dripped down on the connector plugs causing the instrument panel to light up like a christmas tree.Once dried out and sprayed with wd40 ,fault codes reset and no more problems.
Hope this is of help.Please let me know how you get on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your interesting and useful forst post :D and welcome to the forum.

I certainly know about condensation in fuse boxes:-(

robcomuz

Reaction score
Hi , message for Malcolm, Please could you send me the details reference the clk roofs leaks it would be well appreciated i am new to these forums i look forward to looking on your web site for useful tips and help (rbnailor@yahoo.co.uk )kind regards rob

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi , message for Malcolm, Please could you send me the details reference the clk roofs leaks it would be well appreciated i am new to these forums i look forward to looking on your web site for useful tips and help (rbnailor@yahoo.co.uk )kind regards rob

Hello and welcome,,I have sent you the paper for the top of doors, but my main computer has gone down and I cant print off the front A pillar top seal instructions.

its going to take a little time to sort it out.

t15dja

Reaction score
Hi television,
I have a 2005 W209 CLK convertible and it too has a leak somewhere at the top of the nearside A pillar. Passenger seat was soaked after a few hours of steady, but not heavy, rain.
Could you also send me any tips/documentation you may have on fixing this problem please.
Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need an Email address please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have loads of info on the 208 but nothing on the 209.

I will have a newer version coming in a few days, hang on a while please

sirswift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabrio 2001
Not only did my windscreens overflow into the A/C vent, they also overflowed into the engine compartment where the brake booster is located; flooding the driver's side foot well. In the pictures I attached, you can see the weep hole I silicone, thus stopping the leak. The service manager of my local Mercedes Benz shop claims that the weep hole evacuates the water to the outside, not the inside of the car. This of course is not the case. I told him that once I silicone the hole no water got through. He said there must be another drain underneath the weep hole and it must be clogged. With that said, I asked how I clean it. He said he doesn't know exactly where the drain is, but we can take your console apart and the firewall and find it; at a cost of $124 per hour! He said it would take about 3 to 5 hours of labor. I am not happy about this at all. Furthermore, they will not cover the expense of replacing driver side and passenger side liners ($294 each), back floor liner ($411) and the interior firewall lining (I was not given a price on this or the labor to install). Not to mention the possibility of rust forming on the chassis floor in years to come.

I had one mechanic in the shop walk up to me and say, "They (Mercedes Benz) really should clean out the drains of all cars when they come in for A and B Service."

Can anyone tell me what that hole is for and how to fix this leak? BTW, this all started after the shop replace my brake booster. I know, in order to make this install they had to remove part of the dash below the steering wheel. Could this be a cause; is there a tube that could have gotten disconnected?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 214

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
I dont know about any drain holes but I've had this before when the glass (windscreen) leaked.
One thing to look for are cables going in to the bulkhead. Especially any going in downwards. Water may just be running along and through a ready made hole.

S

Shavenuw

Hi - just posted a thread on an identical problem -
As I've said on that, the water came from outside as there were pine needles in the water after heavy rain. It came through an air-conditioning matrix beneath and behind the passenger glove box. If you remove the 3 screws securing that you get to see the wiring that it covers. One of the boxes there is flat and held on with 2 sliding clips. Push these to one side and pull off the cover - put a substantial towel down first as there's lots of water inside.

As to where the water comes in from the rain channels/gulleys, I have no idea. What I do know is that this car's costing me thousands.:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All of this water is coming in as the heater air intake box has clogged drain holes. It is a matter of removing the grill in front of the screen and any filter that is fitted, and clearing the drain holes in the bottom of the box.

This should not be left too long as it can short out the heater motor regulator

S

Shavenuw

CLK leaking

Me too!
Drove off a couple of weeks ago and the car sounded like a swimming pool when I went around a corner. I need to find the rain channels and try unblocking them. Water had entered the car from behind the back of the glove box, through the air conditioning unit.

If there are any guides around to help (not girl guides) I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Its going to be coming from the box under the bonnet. open the bonnet, put your arm down the outside of the Air box thats there, and at the base is a rubber valve. insert a finger and work it around to free up the gunge, you should get it unblocked quite easy, then flush with clean water

as above re Malcolms reply, fix it sooner rather than later.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom