Water Leaking In CLK Convertible

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
In desperation I took my car to the garage to finally have the leaks sorted out -oh silly me, did I really think it would be so simple? £302 later and I still have water coming in from the exact same place as I did before the supposed repair. I do wonder why I didn't just take the cash out into my garden and set light to it. My car is due to go back to the garage again on Thursday so that they can "find out what the problem is", funny that because they already diagnosed the problem, or so they told me. I feel quite mental with it, I honestly don't think my car will ever be water tight. Any advise would be most welcome ��

Just ask for a refund.

If you paid for someone to fit an aerial on the roof and never got a picture you wouldn't pay.
It's no different.

S

Sootyblue

I have loads of info on the 208 but nothing on the 209.

I will have a newer version coming in a few days, hang on a while please

if you get infor on the water leek on the w209 could i have it also please malcom i have the same leek

Slchap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 200 convertible
If only

Sadly they have me over a barrel, they say that this is yet another seal that needs to be replaced. How am I to argue with them, I have no way of proving this to be fact or fiction. They say that they will fit the new seal free of charge as long as I pay for the part itself - there goes another £50, mind you if it actually works it will be such a relief - and a miracle.

Just ask for a refund.

If you paid for someone to fit an aerial on the roof and never got a picture you wouldn't pay.
It's no different.

Lazablue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor 2004 1796
Hi Malcolm,

I have just picked up om this thread although it seems to be quite old/

I have a problem which I has been worse during the recent heavy rain. I only drive my car about once a week, but there has been a water build up above the doors in the convertable.

the first I know about it is that inside windows steam up when it is parked up. When I drive the car I get soaked from a build up of water that seems to escape from above the door where it meets the roof when I go around corners.

I was wondering if some sort of seal has gone?

You mention that you have some information linked to water leaks.

Any chance of you sharing this with me?

Larry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Owing to all the rain we are getting I will do my best to get some 209 info over the next few days

genesis

Reaction score
Mercedes CLK W209 Convertible Water Leak

Hi,

any information on how to cure a water leak on a 2003 CLK Convertible, its coming from where the soft top meets the screen on the drivers side.

Thanks.

adrgraphics

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 (A209) Cab 2005
Hello, first time poster and all that....

Yes, I'm another leaking roof of the CLK (209) variety. Am just re-proofing the fabric now but am pretty sure its the seals. Drivers side is fine (RHD) but passenger side has always leaked at the point of windscreen/roof and door glass. The layout of the seals seems different on the passenger side and on the roof section, more bulbous I suppose. On the drivers side it looks like its been trimmed to a straight diagonal line previously???

I can see the "outer lip" of the roof seal being creased and so leaving a small gap at the bottom and its here its leaking (well one place at least).

Do I carefully trim the seal more? (sounds risky to me).
Can I apply some form of sealant onto of the rubber - just a small bit, to damn up that tiny crease?
Or replace the seals? If so the likely cost as does it really work? (Have heard of others where it didnt solve it)

(The draining water channels are clear and draining to the bottom of the body work just fine)

Any answers on a postcard please? or Malcom, if you could send over the details for it, that would be great. Email is andrewdrobinson@me.com
Many thanks :)
Andrew Robinson

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

adrgraphics

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 (A209) Cab 2005
Hi,

Well proofing might be a slight exaggeration! Just the usual autoglym cleaner and then 'renovator' but might well give it the Meguiar's spray so that water beads off instead of soaking into it. To be honest I dont think the material is the cause of the leak but more the seals. :)

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Mercedes do a special spray that is made for sealing the roof as its a known issue on them to leak through the canvas seams

I will see if i can dig out the part number

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All the dealers keep it, plus you must lubricate the sliding rubbers with a silicon oil

Slchap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 200 convertible
I have good news, I finally rectified the problem with my leaking roof and it was as simple as buying and applying the proper mercedes roof cleaner and reproofing products. To think I wasted over £500 at a garage for no good reason makes me so angry. For those of you with leaking roofs please try the mercedes roof cleaner and then apply 4 cans of the reproofing spray - one can wont do it, you need to apply one can for each quarter. As you can see I tried everything and spent a fortune on new seals etc before being told it was just reproofing that was needed, funny that because this is exactly what I asked them to do in the first place.
Clean the roof thoroughly with the mercedes cleaner and brush it with a semi hard hand brush, make sure you cover the bodywork with plastic dust sheets and masking tape, make sure the roof is dry and then apply two cans of spray - one to each side, allow this to dry for 2mins and then apply the other 2 cans. It worked for me and I honestly didn't think I would ever have a dry car. Good luck.

Ilja

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 conv
Hi, Television! I have a problem with my clk230 cabrio. (208). Roof leaks on my, and passanger head, when it`s rainy. Leaks are there, where cable goes inside roof material (above my head, when i am driving). Can you please send me some kind of information to fix this problem. Thanks (siziy481@gmail.com)

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
Thought it was time to resurrect an old post!!

Just washed the clk, and herself got wet feet in the passenger side....... Soooooooooo, these drains are where exactly please?

Thanks all

decompressing

New Registration
Reaction score
Another plea for help!

Hi Malcolm,

I have a leaking 2003 A209 CLK500 Cabriolet.....leaks from driver and passenger side roof especially evident after the car has sat for a while in the rain...when you then drive it and accelerate, you and/or passenger get a sudden soaking! Also leaves a small wet puddle on the driver/passenger seat.

Thanks for any help.

Could you email me your instructions to:

decompressing@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks,

Marc

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

mario2857

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 CLK200 Kompressor convertible.
Hi Television
I see that you have a list of leaks. Would you be so kind as to send me this list.
As I am having a little problem with water getting in where my soft top makes contact with windscreen in the driver corner.
Many thanks

tactilis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K Cabriolet/2006/1.8
Hi Television

I have a 2006 CLK200 Cabriolet which leaks water from the corner of the roof above the passenger and driver seats. I'd be grateful if you could send me the info you have on tracing and fixing this problem. Also, if you have info on other common water leaks, that would be useful too so I can take preventative steps, such as clearing out drain holes.

Many thanks

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom