Water leaking into passenger footwell

Graham230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K Cabriolet 2001
I have a CLK 230K cabriolet 2001. I discovered that water was leaking into the passenger footwell. Shortly after that the heater fan stopped working. I took it to the local garage and was told that the drain plugs in the engine compartment near the windscreen had become blocked and water had built up into where the heater fan/pollen filter were. It cost me £278. I am anxious that this doesn't happen again. Has anyone got any advice or at least instructions on how I could do the job myself in future.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sadly it does not cover the 208, but the chances are the heater box drain is blocked, its 545 and should come out under the near side of the wheel arch line, that could be blocked

m.mycat

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Whenever I wash my car or check the oil I just pop the mesh cover off the heater air intake and clean it out.
It may be that the one way byng has gummed up. Just poked my finger in it to clear it. If water doesn't exit the bottom of the car then the drain down pipe is blocked. Some strong strimmer wire will do the trick.

OP
G

Graham230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K Cabriolet 2001
Thanks Naraic, Television and brandwooddixon for your help. I'm new to the forum and still trying to find my way around how things work.
On my model of CLK it seems that leaves, debris etc get into a box, near the windscreen, where the water is supposed to drain from. The drains then get blocked and it's difficult to get into the compartment to clean the debris out. Bit of a design fault I think.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can drop the heater motor down, and do it that way, I can send you the instructions on how to do that if you wish

OP
G

Graham230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K Cabriolet 2001
Yes please Television. Do I post my email address on here?

OP
G

Graham230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K Cabriolet 2001
You can drop the heater motor down, and do it that way, I can send you the instructions on how to do that if you wish

television - instructions would be much appreciated. Thanks. Graham230.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Email address please, you can edit it out shortly

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it,, just use it to get to the motor, you can see the 3 screws

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Also you can open your bonnet to the second "maintenance position" which will give you fantastic access. You'll find either a sprung latch on one side, or two sprung latches(one on each side) that when pushed will allow you to open the bonnet beyond it's normal range.

OP
G

Graham230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K Cabriolet 2001
Thanks brandwooddixon. That's a useful tip about the maintenance position. I didn't know that.

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Whenever I wash my car or check the oil I just pop the mesh cover off the heater air intake and clean it out.
It may be that the one way byng has gummed up. Just poked my finger in it to clear it. If water doesn't exit the bottom of the car then the drain down pipe is blocked. Some strong strimmer wire will do the trick.

or net curtain wire I find good for the task.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom