water pump

simon tompkins

Reaction score
hi guys ive got a little problem and need your help,ive just put about 3 quarters of a bucket of water in the cooling system as it said it needed it on the dash,my car is a e280 p reg it looks like its got the leak on the nearside underneath the manifold as there are water stains on the block,do you reckon its the water pump or do they have a known problem,any help would be much appreciated i no its difficult to tell without seeing the car,im just trying to avoid paying out for a water pump that doesnt need it.

thanks simon

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The water pump sit at the highest point on the engine, when the system is full of water and the engine run,turn off and put a finger under the bottom of the pump and if its wet,then it is the pump.

The fan blows it everywhere

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
thanks mate i will try that when i got time off work,if its a new water pump are they expensive.

cheers simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Aoround £100 I think

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
has anyone tryed usuing k seal to repair a water pump leak

cheers simon

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
hi guys i had a good look at the water pump today and cant see it leaking even though television told me to start it and then turn it off and feel behind the pump,all the hoses are in tact,everthing looks okay,im thinking it can only be the water pump,is ther anything else it could be but not visible,the exanpsion tank is getting empty more quickly now so the leak is getting worse.

thanks for any advice simon

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Run the engine and place newspapers under the car, the water must hit the ground eventually, this will not pin point the leak but will give you a good idea of its approximate location.

Dec

meanie

Reaction score
I take it that this is the V6 engine in a 210 series.If thats the case & it's stained under the exhaust manifold,then maybe head gasket,or a casting bung?

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
no its a e 280e straight six if it was head gasket wouldnt i get a leak into the oil or some smoke from the exhaust.

simon

meanie

Reaction score
Not always.

The water pump is mounted quite low down,is the water staining higher than this?

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
its behind the water pump but not higher im hoping its the water pump,head gasket would be expensive,but i must say it looks like an easy engine to work on,i think the water pump is the cheapest way to go and if its not that then it will be a new headgasket,but im going to try some k seal first its only a tenner and nothing to lose,what do you reckon.

simon

meanie

Reaction score
its behind the water pump but not higher im hoping its the water pump,head gasket would be expensive,but i must say it looks like an easy engine to work on,i think the water pump is the cheapest way to go and if its not that then it will be a new headgasket,but im going to try some k seal first its only a tenner and nothing to lose,what do you reckon.

simon

Then it could be the water pump to block o'ring or the housing.

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
im am going to get the water pump fitted this week and hope that is the problem,but if it was the head gasket what sort of price would i expect to pay,

cheers simon

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom